X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migrated from Debian

Hello All,

I migrated from Debian to Kubuntu. I was using Debian for quite some time. Sure learned a lot! But got tired of always having to configure stuff to make it work. Most of the stuff comes working with Kubuntu and it still allows me to be a geek. ( I have been a developer for 26 years now )

I tried Ubuntu first. I try to like the Gnome desktop, but I just can't. When I was running Debian, I ran KDE also while maintaining a mixed testing/sid distro. IMHO the tools in KDE are just far superior.

One thing about Ubuntu, however, Compiz seemed to run quite good without the bugs I have experienced with Kubuntu. Compiz is nice, but it's not a showstopper for me.

One thing I don't like about Kubuntu is the all purpose root killer - the way sudo has been implemented, but I resolved that immediately after installation.

Anyway, I am very pleased and excited about Kubuntu and look forward to it's progress.

Mike
    txWingMan

Re: Migrated from Debian

Awesome! Glad to have you on board, and welcome to the Kubuntu forums

Compiz runs better in Ubuntu than Kubuntu because it was first designed for Gnome, then ported to KDE, so it's still kinda' buggy in Kubuntu. Anyway, in the unlikely event you run into an issue you can't handle on your own, we'll be here
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
      Awesome! Glad to have you on board, and welcome to the Kubuntu forums

Compiz runs better in Ubuntu than Kubuntu because it was first designed for Gnome, then ported to KDE, so it's still kinda' buggy in Kubuntu. Anyway, in the unlikely event you run into an issue you can't handle on your own, we'll be here
      Well, thank you. That was very kind of you. I must say... the Debian forums and this forum are 2 completely different worlds. ( that's a compliment btw )
      txWingMan

Comment

Originally posted by txHarleyMan
        One thing about Ubuntu, however, Compiz seemed to run quite good without the bugs I have experienced with Kubuntu. Compiz is nice, but it's not a showstopper for me.
        Compiz does seem to have it's problems in kde. In KDE4 kwin has it's own compositing engine (very similar to compiz), and should probably be 'the-3d-effects-of-choice' for kde after it matures. I'm not a big fan of desktop effects myself, though.

One thing I don't like about Kubuntu is the all purpose root killer - the way sudo has been implemented, but I resolved that immediately after installation.
        I did some 'debianizing' as well when I came to kubuntu a few years back, but I found that sudo/kdesu grows on you eventually. Of course you're free to modify the system to your liking.

And yes, welcome to kubuntu(forums)

Comment

Welcome to the party

Well, thank you. That was very kind of you. I must say... the Debian forums and this forum are 2 completely different worlds.
          I can forward that motion. I have been testing mepis 7.0 (Debian Etch) and love it. But the forums....well I like this party better

I also agree with kubicle. sudoing does grow on you. It does have its quirks and I don't like some of the *buntu practices but heh, nothing is or should be perfect.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I guess right now my colon is impacted with Debian. Once it is empty, I will be able to breathe again.
            txWingMan

Comment

Early this year, I also switched from running Debian Etch as my main system and Kubuntu as my experimental to running Kubuntu 8.04 as my main system.

Before Debian I had tried more than ten other distros, with varying success, but Debian worked better and gave me the flexibility, stability and security that I wanted. Kubuntu now does the same but better. Hardy was a big step forward and I'm waiting now for Intrepid Ibex beta to see how that goes. Reports look promising.

Linux is great. There is so much freedom to choose what you want or don't want. For any particular application you want, there are likely to be several. Kubuntu seems to be growing in popularity because it meets the needs of more people.
              HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Why would you want to switch to Debian from Kubuntu? Kubuntu is a POS in comparison. The only good thing about it is it tries to do Windows-friendly functions. But, if you can't even boot up, it's worthless.

Comment

@kbunt

It is quiet apparent that you dislike Kubuntu - a lot. Many of your posts do little more than bash it. So my question to you is: If you find Kubuntu so unsatisfying and rife with problems, why do you stick with it? As our host OS has posted on the Intro: "This community is here to help each other..."

There are plenty of members here, who, with the right information provided, would be more than willing to provide what ever assistance they are able.

It is unrealistic to expect - to demand - that all Linux variants will "just work" on all PCs with any hardware. That might be a desired goal, but given the profit-oriented nature of our capitalist world, it is highly unlikely.

If a manufacture insists on building hardware that requires their proprietary software/drivers to work, and won't release the source-code so that Linux developers can have a shot at building an Open Source equivalent, then there are going to be issues using that hardware with Linux.

I am going to suggest, that instead of posting non-productive 'rants' on how you don't like Kubuntu, you carefully document what doesn't work (for you) and post feedback to the developers via KDE Bug Tracking System
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    @kbunt

It is quiet apparent that you dislike Kubuntu - a lot. Many of your posts do little more than bash it. So my question to you is: If you find Kubuntu so unsatisfying and rife with problems, why do you stick with it? As our host OS has posted on the Intro: "This community is here to help each other..."

There are plenty of members here, who, with the right information provided, would be more than willing to provide what ever assistance they are able.

It is unrealistic to expect - to demand - that all Linux variants will "just work" on all PCs with any hardware. That might be a desired goal, but given the profit-oriented nature of our capitalist world, it is highly unlikely.

If a manufacture insists on building hardware that requires their proprietary software/drivers to work, and won't release the source-code so that Linux developers can have a shot at building an Open Source equivalent, then there are going to be issues using that hardware with Linux.

I am going to suggest, that instead of posting non-productive 'rants' on how you don't like Kubuntu, you carefully document what doesn't work (for you) and post feedback to the developers via KDE Bug Tracking System
                    Because Linux is supposed to be open source and Canonical/Ubuntu is only popular because of corporate marketing. The Ubuntu movement has quite detoured from 'standard Debian' and it's popular despite being criticized and derided by hardcore Linux users (especially Debian). Go to the Debian forum if you don't believe me.

But, for me, the mere neglect of 'modern' hardware especially video card and DVI or whatever the issue is, is just ridiculous. I use Kubuntu/Ubuntu because I am still not proficient at Debian/Linux overall and sometimes I don't have the time to 'work out' every problem. But, at least, there are those who look at the most common issues and don't invite even more obstacles of basic install/boot procedures. In addition, I still suspect Kubuntu is not a priority for the Ubuntu group. I think the issue could have been easily solved (if other distros don't have the problem, why does Kubuntu? Are they smarter?).

Maybe I will be at the end of the line of this OS. The developers obviously don't care about the issues.

Does that answer your questions?

Comment

I must confess I am mixed up:
                      Why would you want to switch to Debian from Kubuntu?
                      and this:
                      Kubuntu is a POS in comparison. The only good thing about it is it tries to do Windows-friendly functions. But, if you can't even boot up, it's worthless.
                      Do not make sense. In fact they are are a contradiction.

If kubuntu is such a POS why not switch to debian?
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                        I must confess I am mixed up:

Do not make sense. In fact they are are a contradiction.

If kubuntu is such a POS why not switch to debian?
                        I just said why if you read the above.

I never stated that Ubuntu/Kubuntu team had no attributes or positives. I have been saying they seem to be neglecting certain issues or parts of their OS. At least, that is what it appears TO ME. The good parts were enough for me to use it. I think they have tried to simplify many things in application installs including video drivers but why not do the simple stuff when booting up the OS? That made no sense to me. Debian seems to do the opposite as you must do many things manually but I think it will boot up because they figure if they use 'basic video driver', it will boot up but you have to do the driver upgrade yourself. Same with wireless, they only use the troubled and much maligned KNetwork Manager.

Anyway, I guess I am just annoyed at the little things regarding K/Ubuntu that prevent making it better (imho).

I'm realizing that a lot of it are the problems in Nvidia/ATI (related to X?) and KDE4 being sloppily implemented in the kernel or something to that effect. Afterall, it's a video problem overall so that is the only thing that would make sense.

Comment

@ txWingMan

Yep, the endless tweaking did get on my nerves as well in Debian. And the forum is a laugh if you are not a certified linux god (which I am not). Cryptic is perhaps the best and most polite way to describe it. However, some individuals there are really helpful - others are as coherent, helpful and polite as kbunt.

@ kbunt

The problem is that nobody bothers reading your posts any more so feel free to pollute this forum further.
                          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                            @ kbunt

The problem is that nobody bothers reading your posts any more so feel free to pollute this forum further.
                            Okay, I'll make you (all) happy and find another distro.

Thanks.

Comment

First of all, some of us have switched from Debian to Kubuntu because Kubuntu "just works". Nobody ever said that about Debian except for naive corporate users who were supported by good sysadmins. Otherwise, Debian tends to be more of a learning experience.

Second, believe it or not, there are user-friendly websites for Debian users. They're just not official Debian sites. Please try the Debian-Administration site. You may even find a few things that are relevant to Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                              X