X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

links to the Ubuntu forum / Kubuntu

Hi All,

What are the links to the Ubuntu forums (KDE & Kubuntu) or are there any.? Are there common moderators?. Is it best to post questions to both forums or not. Personally I do not see that as good way but obviously there are posts on Ubuntu forums that relate to Kubuntu.

There seems to a duplication of effect or am I missing something. 

Best Wishes
    Jim R.

Re: links to the Ubuntu forum / Kubuntu

Originally posted by jamesr
    What are the links to the Ubuntu forums (KDE & Kubuntu) or are there any.?
    The only link is that they both have to do with the same distro.

Are there common moderators?
    If so, it's accidental.

Is it best to post questions to both forums or not.
    I don't see why not. I've generally found that the Ubuntu Forums have a larger user base and can answer questions more effectively and quickly. However, there's a general assumption (even though they have a Kubuntu sub-forum) that you're using Gnome, even though you may be using KDE. Here at the Kubuntu Forums, everyone assumes you're using KDE.

Personally I do not see that as good way but obviously there are posts on Ubuntu forums that relate to Kubuntu.

It doesn't really matter. I thought at first the formation of these forums would fragment the Ubuntu community. It hasn't. This forum has had no adverse effect whatsoever on the Ubuntu community at large or the Ubuntu Forums (as far as I can tell).
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Thanks for the answers

Is it best to post questions to both forums or not.
      I don't see why not. I've generally found that the Ubuntu Forums have a larger user base and can answer questions more effectively and quickly. However, there's a general assumption (even though they have a Kubuntu sub-forum) that you're using Gnome, even though you may be using KDE. Here at the Kubuntu Forums, everyone assumes you're using KDE.
      Noting your reply I will just have to get into the habit of making a copy of primary in a text file.

Personally I do not see that as good way but obviously there are posts on Ubuntu forums that relate to Kubuntu.

It doesn't really matter. I thought at first the formation of these forums would fragment the Ubuntu community. It hasn't. This forum has had no adverse effect whatsoever on the Ubuntu community at large or the Ubuntu Forums (as far as I can tell).
      It is nice to hear your answer " This forum has had no adverse effect" may it carry on that way.

As a general comment, the Kubunto forums seem to be a lot cleaner in layout.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesr
        Noting your reply I will just have to get into the habit of making a copy of primary in a text file.
        If you're actually using Kubuntu, I'd stick to posting here. If no one answers you, then you can repost on the Ubuntu Forums.

I've generally found most questions are answered fastest by doing a search, though. My favorite is this kind of search:

site:ubuntuforums.org mount windoww partitions

or

site:ubuntuforums.org whatevertheproblemis
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I appreciate you joining us here. We are not affiliated with ubuntuforums.org except that we both offer support for linux, specifically Kubuntu.

Are there common moderators?
          This question (or questions like it) has been mentioned many times before, but I would just like to note that my original intent for this site, was to create a forum that can be searched, and rarely goes down. It was my experience, and maybe this is rare, but I could never get a search to go through at ubuntuforums.org so I gave up and started my own site. There are no hard feelings between the sites, at least as far as I know. Feel free to post on either or both sites, but I will agree with aysiu, kubuntuforums assumes KDE and ubuntuforums assumes gnome for the most part.

Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks for replies. 

It is pleasing to know that what are considered the differences and similarities and the possible cross links. The questions came from the experiences of two slackware forums where one was alt.linux.slackware and the other was alt.linux.slakware and also a few years ago.

I certainly aware of  the differences already ie the assumptions of the Ubuntu forums ie Gnome even in the KDE section ie  a reply stateing

sudo gedit /etc/modules

where of course in KDE gedit does not exist. I personally use nano instead

sudo nano /etc/modules

This is why I am documenting a problem even by answering my own questions on the Kubuntu forums.  I hope that does not upset anybody.

Comment

Working...
            X