Re: Linux: simply a novelty?

No comment:
    http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7536907294.html
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I've been using Linux for a couple of months now after finally giving in to my curiosity. I've only tried Ubuntu and now Kubuntu so I can't speak about other distros. I could go on about how Linux does this better and Windows does that better but it all has pretty much been said in this thread already. It all boils down to this:

I feel good using Linux.

That's all I have to say.
      &quot;The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated <br />concept.&nbsp; If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in <br />life and actually grok it.&quot;

Comment

Even though that this topic died out I'll still feel the need to tell my life story about me and computers.

Well I probably got my first computer at the end of 80' when I was still in kindergarten it was ZX Spectrum which I and all my of my family used it just to play few games. I recall playing Snoopy game and an formula racing game.
        Also I remember having some books on how to program with BASIC never read them or at least use them.
        So even though I was one of first in my generation to actually use computer that didn't help me to not become an eternal noob.
        Any way after a while we sold ZX Spectrum and had no computer for some time. In these time our country seceded from Yugoslavia, but escaped the big war that was ravaging the Balkans in early 90'. So somewhere in 91-2 we decided to buy new computer an intel 486 66mhz 16mb ram something like that...
        Again I was one of the first in our school to have an computer, but when one of my classmates asked me what computer I have I gave him the name of my monitor instead of the above specifics... This classmate trough time became computer geek and is now studying to be an IT. On these computer we had Win 3.1 installed, but soon changed to 95. Thankfully it was the time for our family to buy new computer it was intel 133Mhz 32mb ram 1gb disk. I went from WIN 95, 98 through ME but then back to 98 and then directly to 2000 professional. When I was finishing my primary school (which took 8 years now 9) we decided to buy another computer on which I and my father specified the hardware. It was AMD athlon 2Ghz 512MB RAM 60GB disk with ATI 8500 All in wonder card. So i got the 133 just for myself. At that time I first herd about Linux and Unix. The classmate that was computer geek said he has an Unix server (but I don't recall seeing Unix load). My other friend that in these times got himself his first computer asked me if I can download him Red Hat 9.0 because he didn't had internet. I did thet but he returned all 3 CD of RH9.0 just few months after saying he's going back to Windows. but after I got it back I just fell the need to install it. When I started going to high school I was first time introduced to VMware. But my father didn't let me use it. At this time we had just one computer the 133Mhz was sold, so I had no computer to myself. At end of High School (4 years) I got my computer. It was not custom made (this proved to be wrong method for our family) but an AMD sempron 3Ghz, 512MB 160GB disk Nvidia6600 with Windows XP home OEM on it and no CD. Now I finally got the computer to install VMware on it and try Linux; I thought. Well not, VMware that had was 30 day trial version that supported WIN instalation only. At beginning there were some graphics driver problems on XP, so I decided to use VMware for 2000 for which I knew that everything worked fine. Well I was getting a lot of BoSD those days, mostly because I thought that my machine could simply virtualise another another machine on which I would play games that didn't work on XP (mostly need for speed). But I soon figured that my machine is not meant to run VMware, so I uninstalled it. After that my errors and BSoD just plummeted to zero. So I was an happy WIN XP user with a bit of an itch to try Linux.
        Well I did tried one specialized Slovenian distro of Linux, thought it was LiveCD but it wasn't so I decided not install it.
        Around year ago all this Ubuntu hype reached our little country on the sunny side of Alps. I thought finally an Linux dustro that I can use. But then Father brought an old computer from work (something I always dreamt about) but the WIN which was installed on had an code and couldn't be accessed. And trying to install XP over it did nothing. Then I remembered that I still have RH9.0 installed it on computer and liked it. But father had other plans for this computer, so we installed XP over RH9.0. I thought this RH9.0 is around 7 years old and I still liked it, lets see what this Ubuntu is. So few weeks/months after I decided to downloaded Ubutnu Feisty. put it in my CD tray and run it. First thing that I noticed that it dosen't differ that much from RH9.0 so many years ago. At these time my father's computers (AMD 2G) problems hit the top it was overheating at the too expensive graphical card we never really needed. So he decided to buy new computer and salvage things from this things that were salvageable. So I got my self another 512MB of ram and added it to 1,5Gb that I had already in. And I got my second disk 80 Gb. I installed Ubuntu on it installed few games on it, but that was all. I was still in WIN discourse, so I didn't know about any forums or bother to seek them, I didn't installed compiz or even increase my desktop form default 2 to 4 or more. When I tried to install all the fonts that I got through internet and from vista, which was very important, because this fonts were used in scouting magazine that I edit. So I went on the net to find out how to install it. Somewhere I found that KDE is easier for installing core fonts. So I went and installed kubuntu-desktop, but what I got was an Frankenstein (as I called it) it had Kubuntu boot loader and all KDE apps but no KDE. Well at that time I didn't know anything about sessions or anything like that. So I decided to install Kubuntu. At that time I thought it would be cool if I could switch so that XP would be on smaller disk and Kubuntu on bigger disk. I used Acronis to clone my XP partition on the 80gb disk and installed Kubuntu on 160. But guess what, when i rebooted none of them worked. Somehow 80gb became master and the cloned WIN XP were not cloned at all! AAAA! i was without any OS. So I decided to install Kubuntu on my 160, and start to update it but adept didn't agree with me, so took a lot of time to guess what was wrong and to master the awesome power of:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get upgrade
        Now I'm running Kubuntu for a month or so, had more errors then on WIN XP, but still love it.

As you can see Linux nor computer are no novelty to me, but that didn't helped me much as I am more or less still noob about the computers. But yes I started to take Linux seriously after all the Ubuntu hype. But didn't choose it because of that, but because I agreed with Ubuntu philosophy towards humanity.
        And I don't even have dual boot, because of the Acronis incident... So that speed up the process of assimilating in to an new OS.
        (Sorry for the this long and not so much interesting post)
        I&#39;m magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

Working...
        X