This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Linux: simply a novelty?

Excellent post there DeJaMo, you hit it right on the nose.
    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Well guys I have been working with Linux Kernel for 10 years now.
      I would say that takes it out of a novelty areana..

Comment

I think the fact that Linux has been used on servers far longer than it has on desktops says that it is not just a novelty.
        Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by ericesque
          I can't think of anything I can do with Linux (any distro) that I can't do with windows.
          For me, this has absolutely nothing to do with it.  In fact, I've spent quite a lot of time and effort in the last two years trying to do just the opposite - get all the functionality of Windows (and associated apps) in GNU/Linux.

Basically, it boils down to the fact that I resent Microsoft's use of it's monopoly power to lock people into it's software.  I don't like feeling forced.  Some of their software is actually quite good, but I refuse to use it simply because they insist on trying to shove it down my throat.

I have no problem whatsoever with closed source software, or with people charging money for software.  I do, however, have a huge problem with a monopoly creating formats that can ONLY work 100% correctly when you use their software.  This has always been MS' marketing strategy and always will be.  MSN messenger, windows media player, internet explorer, powerpoint, word... the list goes on forever.  All of these products have a stranglehold on their respective markets because of the proprietary formats that are de facto standards.

And how did those formats get to be de facto standards?  Because the MS OS makes it very VERY easy to use them.  Not only that, but they make it mildly annoying to use anything else.  How many people, when first installing XP, have been driven nearly insane in trying to prevent windows messenger from appearing - begging you to use it?  You tell it not to run on start-up, easy enough. Then, you open Outlook Express and there it is again!  So, you try to kill it and it informs you that another process is using it and it cannot be shut down, etc etc.  This is how all MS software works.  It's all intertwined, interlocked and integrated in a huge web that is difficult to get free of.

In any event, a person could go on for days about what a PoS MS is.  There's no point in that since a million other people have already done so... all over the web.  The frustrating part, for me, is that the average computer user just doesn't see this.  Perhaps because MS continually lulls them to sleep with sweet marketing words?

"Don't try anything new, it'll just be too difficult to change...

"Why change when what you have works fine...?"

"Our products are really quite secure, don't let those Linux kooks tell you different, they're weirdos, computer geeks, trying to scare you into using their inferior products..."

And BTW, Apple is no better than MS.  Worse in fact - like getting out of the frying pan and into the fire.  Imagine if MS had not crushed them early on?  Instead of just using a garbage OS, we'd be using a garbage OS *and* rubbish hardware.   

Comment

Originally posted by ericesque
            If somebody can prove to me why I should stick to Kubuntu/Linux, I will make the switch permanently and erase XP from my HDD.
            Therein lies your problem. If you like Windows, or can use it better to achieve whatever goals you want from computing, then use it and don't bother with linux at all. Its a no-brainer really.

I switched away from Windows because I'm sick to death of Microsoft and its dubious intentions with the future of computing. I don't want to give those scumbags another penny of my money. But thats my choice. TBH, I think Windows as a platform is very good at what it does (security aside - Linux simply hammers Windows on that front).

You pays your money, you takes yer choice.

Comment

Linux isn't a novelty for me, though it is more fun than MS Windows. I built a computer a couple of years ago, and found out that it was going to cost me as much in software as it had already cost me in hardware. Since I was out of money, and refused to break the law, I had to find something free. That is when I found Linux (Red Hat 7.3). I love KDE, because I am a chronic tweaker. I change the look and feel of my machine a couple of times a week. One of the main reasons that I like Linux, Kubuntu specifically, is one word->community. When I had problems with MS Windows, I had to pay, or search for the answers, and never got them. With the linux community, I can find the answer to any question that comes up. I started insisting on free software a few years ago, and haven't paid for any since (except MS Windows for my wife's computer)-four computers later. So I really like the free aspect of linux, but the community is what drives it home for me. I do agree, though, if you have MS Windows, and like it, and it does everything you want to do, why would you switch? Unless, like many of us, you would like to invest in the future of computers, and software by making an effort to set computer useres free in the future by learning a new OS now. Eventually, when Open Source & linux catches on, I think that Microsoft will be in big trouble. Just my opinion, though.
              Pentium M 1.73 GHz <br />2 gig Ram<br />Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 900<br />Lucid 10.04

Comment

I boot Kubuntu because that's all that's on my hard drive. :P

I wanted a no-cost OS because I'm not rolling in piles of money, and something that works well, all the time. I can do more with linux than I can with Windows, and I feel restricted by XP every day at work when I have to use it. Linux "JUST WORKS" on almost every machine I've ever tried it on. And after having fought with XP installs to the tune of 4 or 5 HOURS before, I much prefer the 15 minute live cd installations of linux.

Comment

Why do I use Linux instead of Windows....

1. Complete control of my machine. I configure what it looks like and how it reacts to ME!
                  2. Love being able to mount .iso's natively.
                  3. Insulation from 99.99% of malware.
                  4. I am sick and tired of the heavy handed way M$ treats customers. They assume you will pirate whilst the opposite is true.
                  5. The M$ programming mantra "step 1: assume the user is an idiot"
                  6. M$ is moving into a dark area. While you read their EULA's they are trying to lock the applications to the OS and (at some point) the hardware.
                  7. It's true that for some applications (gaming) Windows is the only choice.
                  8. For the most part if you find an actual bug and report it, it gets fixed and you might even get a "Thanks dude" from the developer.
                  9. Freedom... I choose what apps/distro/eye-candy etc... to install.
                  10. M$ doesn't innovate any more, but they are very proficient at taking someone else's work, tweaking it and calling it their own, then marketing the crap out of it.
                  11. No... linux is not a novelty (maybe for you). I love it when my boss says corporate wants to spend 5 to 6 figures on a proprietary Windows solution and I counter with an Open Source solution that cost 1/3 as much and works better. Then watch his eyes pop out!
                  12. I could go on for a while, you get the point.
                  13. If Photoshop is the only thing, buy the Crossover package and enjoy!
                  14. Now that Google has ported Picasa to Linux I'm done with windows (at home anyway)
                  15. As a proof of concept, myself and 2 other IT geeks at work were able to take a Gentoo system and insert it into a completely M$ backend with NO loss of connectivty to any of our backend systems, (Active Directory, Exchange, etc..)
                  16. If Windows is your cup o' tea then go for it! We will be waiting to welcome back to the Linux fold.

Whoops.. kind of got carried away there sorry for the extended post.

Comment

I've been in Linux for about six months now and there's nothing I can do in windows that I can't do in Linux. My scanner works, my games work. Everything.

Comment

My reason for using Linux in 'anger' was simple, I started a small business and needed a good accounts package that I could customise for myself and use in the UK.

All the MS ones were just too expensive and fixed so after a bit of reasearch I found Quasar www.linuxcanada.com and with a bit of tweaking this worked fine.

I've retired now but just for the fun of it I'm going to try and get Quasar to compile under Kubuntu 6.10 (I used it with Mandriva before as there were ready to install rpm files).

I have tried Vista and Office 2007 and compaired this to Kubuntu and Open Office and I have to say the latter wins hands down for me. Vista looks so drab and Office with the new ribbon bar is just too much of a learning curve for me. Most of my computer and business friends agree with me, some even thought Kubuntu 6.10 was the new Vista!

I still use XP but mostly for gaming now as I have the time to enjoy Oblivion and Tomb Raider etc.

Just my thoughts, regards, P.

Comment

I own a business, this isn't a computer and network for fun and games. I don't boot into Linux so folks can say oh how cool.

Can we say TCO? My computer used to run Win 98 and Office 2000 because it was so much faster than XP. I can trust me to not get the network hacked by downloading something stupid - but everyone else? For those computers it's the latest and greatest and cross your fingers.

The life cycle on 98 has of course expired, so that's one set of licenses, OS, Office software, antivirus and firewall.

XP has what, 2 years left maybe? Then I'll have to buy at least 5 more licenses.

Bottom of the line Dells are not going to run Vista business edition very well! :-) So, 5 grand at least for new computers.

If we do good and hire more people that be will even more expensive machines, and 5 work stations is really sort of pushing it not to have a server, which of course will call for even more software.

It's taken me several months to learn how to set up Linux. Several months to find apps that will work for me and the company. This is of course an expensive way to save money short term.

I'm migrating the company one machine at a time. My secretary is first and there have been a few howls of protest along the way, but she's getting there. I've overheard her bragging about how much faster her Linux is than Windows.

Can we say productivity? More work, less time?

Do you know frustrating it can be to watch someone on a deadline staring at a computer screen waiting for a reboot? Waiting for an app to come up because they forgot to defrag Friday afternoon?

My time counts for something around here too!

This by far the most productive computer set up I've ever had.

First of all - it's just fast. I mean just plain fast. I come in Monday morning, hit the power switch and by the time I grab a cup of coffee and get back to the desk it's up.

Having 4 desk tops available is insanely efficient. I put spread sheets and calculators on one desktop. Word processor and business email on another. Desktop 3 is my radio. :-) Desktop 4 is PIM and webbrowser.

I have a little app called 3ddesktop. Hit the F12 key, an arrow key to rotate from desktop to desktop. I have a 50-50 chance the app I want to use will be the one on top. If not, a key combo and it's on top and I can continue onward.

No more of this alternate tab tab tab tab stuff, or right clicking and cascade windows.

I've installed a little app called Kool Dock - it sits at the bottom of my screen, it's invisible. I have 8 apps on it that I use from time to time. No more drilling through 15 menus.

Every Friday afternoon I have to remind everyone to turn on disk deagmenter. Every Saturday morning I have to go in and check - has everyone updated office? and shut everything down.

Back ups? You know the reason Windows folks don't back up? Windows back up software is a kludge. It's slow and unless you image the disk error prone.

With Linux, this machine backs up in slightly less than 30 minutes while I'm using it!!!!  I've got a little script, it backs it up and transfers it to the machine we use as a print server. Simple. Fast. Efficient. Saturdays off.

I'm starting to learn about servers now. That will take me some time, and I'm sure I will spend quite a bit of time on the forums reading and typing - but once it's done it will be done.

In short, I expect Linux to save me a significant amount of money and improve the efficiency of my business.

Comment

I use to think Linux was just a novelty, but not anymore. Especially after reading this thread.
                          The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Comment

Linux has never been a novelty! I've known this for years, but was intimidated by actually having to do some things for myself when utilizing an operating system.

For example: M$ allows your grandma to use a computer with almost no prior knowlege of computing systems. This is the great appeal. Furthermore, Windows has become the development target of most software and hardware sources. This is helpful but also a hinderance too if you don't use M$.

But for me it really boils down to TRUST. I have felt increasingly trapped by M$ for years as I watched the OS environment become evermore restrictive, bloated and dumbed down. Basically, M$ dictates my usage of my own equipment. Of course there are hacks and workarounds, but these things should be native and apparent to the environment.

But back to the TRUST issue: I've long suspected that M$ can invade your system  without your knowing it but I was sure it would never happen to me. I'm a low to mid level user. Without going to deep into the gory details- I was recently faced with spending $200 on a copy of XP to remedy the emergency ( I was a poor college student) or borrowing a copy from one of my friends.

I borrowed the copy. Nice hands-free install. System worked well but the inevitable slowdown showed up after a few hours. I made an ISO copy of the xp dvd and stored it on my HD. A few weeks later after I returned the disk to my friend I looked for the ISO in my ISO directory. I was going to burn it for safekeeping. Low and behold it was GONE! All my other ISO's were still there but the copy of XP was nowhere to be found! What happened? I came to the obvious conclusion. I'd been cracked by M$.

Then my System began to act real strange and unpredictable with programs showing up that I hadn't installed and I couldn't get rid of.

I know I was wrong to use an unlicensed copy of XP but it gave M$ no right to dig in my hard drive and also install software to my system.

I made the switch to openSuse right away. I'd had enough. I quickly found Kubuntu and found it to be a better option.

There is something to be said about altruism.

Mark Shuttleworth has spent his time and money developing the different flavors of Ubuntu not for monetary gain but because opensource free software profits us all in the long run. Kudos Mark! He's done something just because it needed to be done and without thought of personal gain. That's true altruism.

So trust is the catalyst for me. I respect that Linux developers respect me- as a user and consumer. I no longer fear that the developer could and will hijack my system to prevent me from utilizing it. There is respect for my privacy. I remain convinced that M$ uses its current power to bully vendors and consumers alike.

Linux on the other hand reveals more of itself to me everyday should I choose to look. I see now that it is actually more user friendly, streamlined and powerful to use than M$ os's! The beauty of it all is that the programs I find do what I expect and not everything else but what I want. Plus there is a wealth of help and advice to be found on the net. Is it absolutely perfect? No, but neither is XP nor I suspect will Vista achieve that status.

I've tried the 64 bit version of Windows. Its really still in beta. BETA! And Vista coming out in a few months? Linux has had 64 bit versions that work- mind you- for over a year!

Odds are if you are reading this you have made the switch; in the process; or considering it. Of course your needs must be met, afterall its about the user- if you can't let go of Windows for some reason at least give Kubuntu or Ubuntu a test drive for a few weeks.  You shouldn't be disappointed.

Comment

@ericesque may I make a sugestion?
                              As I have the same problem with PS, Falsh MX2004, Dreamweaver MX2004, etc. I needed windows. On the other hand I work on Kubuntu for everthing else and for all the reasons mentioned by others. So what to do? Get yourself vmware or some other fast emaluator, and run your windows on a seperate screen. Okay it costs money but it saves so much time and trouble from doublebooting.
                              That way you can read/answer your mails, keep abrest of your appointments,write your letters, get your meassanger or yahoo, skype, etc messages. Listen to the radio or watch TV ) admin your network, upgrade/install software all at once and on different screens.

That is why linux is not a novelty and why I love it.

Cheers and meery x-mas to all
                              F
                              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                              4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by aysiu
                                3. Licensing freedom. Sure, if you buy Linspire, you can load it on only three home computers, but that's still more freedom than you get with a Microsoft Windows license. And most Linux distros are not nearly as restrictive as Linspire. I hate product registration keys and activation keys and such. Ubuntu and most Linux distributions free you from that.
                                Remember though, that Linspire lets you play DVDs, MP3s, and comes with all the regular software in it. The first two are quite brave of them; watching DVDs on a linux OS is considered a crime in the states.

But can't you edit Linspire like all the other distros?

Comment

Working...
                                X