This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remastersys - Anybody try?

Didn't know where to post this, so here it is in here.

Has anybody tried this tool?

http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu-lin...th-remastersys

Re: remastersys - Anybody try?

I'm working on it right now, I'll post the results when I've finished (BTW, thanks for the link, I've been looking for something like that for a while).
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Actually I ran across this only because I was looking at DreamLinux and they have a similar built in tool. While trying to find out about it, I ran across an article that had the link. Let me know how it does. I'm actually kind of interested in that. I'll probably play around with it this weekend.

Thanks goes to AndrewH as well. He is the one that mentioned DreamLinux.

Comment

I dunno' I keep (unsuccessfully) making more images, and trying to run them as virtual machines with VMware Player, but they keep taking me to busybox :P As far as I know, I'm using Remastersys properly; I mean, its interface is very simple, but the ISO image created is never more than 165mb. This is exactly what the last part of the creation process tells me:
        /home/remastersys/customdist.iso is ready to be burned or tested in a virtual machine.

Check the size and if it is larger than 700MB you will need to burn it to a dvd

165M /home/remastersys/customdist.iso

It is recommended to run 'sudo remastersys clean' once you have burned and tested the customdist.iso
        The virtual machine shouldn't be the problem then (I've assigned it 512mb of RAM), but what could I be doing wrong?
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

......but the ISO image created is never more than 165mb. ......
          I am getting the same Did you close all your running apps and not use the system during the process? I didn't, and according to this:

http://www.remastersys.klikit.org/

that is what you have to do. You also have to unmount all your network shares, which I didn't do either so quess that was my fault.

This post at mint talks about a remastersys version 2.0:
          http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic...stersys#p41170

I installed it and ran the gui. It is pretty simple and lets you configure a few things. I will try that when I don't need the comupter for work.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Same result here. Fintan, Thanks for the link. reviewing it now.

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
              I dunno' I keep (unsuccessfully) making more images, and trying to run them as virtual machines with VMware Player, but they keep taking me to busybox :P As far as I know, I'm using Remastersys properly; I mean, its interface is very simple, but the ISO image created is never more than 165mb. This is exactly what the last part of the creation process tells me:
              /home/remastersys/customdist.iso is ready to be burned or tested in a virtual machine.

Check the size and if it is larger than 700MB you will need to burn it to a dvd

165M /home/remastersys/customdist.iso

It is recommended to run 'sudo remastersys clean' once you have burned and tested the customdist.iso
              The virtual machine shouldn't be the problem then (I've assigned it 512mb of RAM), but what could I be doing wrong?
              It is failing and that is why the image size is so small.

If you can PM me here or sign up on the Klikit forums and PM me there, I'll give you my email address as I'd like to see the remastersys.log file and hopefully be able to let you know what is going wrong for you.

The homepage is http://www.remastersys.klikit.org and the instructions for my repo for it are at the bottom of the page. Mint sometimes is behind in the version as I don't have access to their repo.

BTW - I'm the guy who wrote remastersys in case you haven't already figured that out - lol.

Comment

Recognized the name

Comment

Actually, my email address should show up in the package description as well.

Comment

Thanks for the link I'm currently installing the latest version of remastersys, when that's finished, I'll run it again and see if it works before I bother you with debugging my system
                    Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Running it now!

Comment

I tried the new version at lunch time. for some reason it didn't work right.
                        I set it up to make my remastersys file in my data partition. so when I chose to make a live cd it came right back telling all the files were in the designated diestory (call it /data/remastersys) and I should burn an iso. Well, this was to quick and nothing was in that directory.
                        So I purged that and installed the old one. Ran:
                        Code:
                        sudo remastersys dist
                        just like my first try. This time it got stuck at something like loading disk 1,
                        loading disk 2 for about two hours. I exited and tried to reboot. None of my users would boot. Not Kubuntu, haardy test, mepis test, mint test. It took me a while to figure it out.
                        I have my /home on a separate partition with a good 25Gig which should be enough since my data is on another partition (300gig).
                        Well my /home was full!? :P so I couldn't boot into it It must have made a big file because I had about 19 gig free space before this process.

I had to delete the remastersys file from /home so I could boot up again as user. >
                        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

OK. Here is an entry in the log file it creates. I guess for me, this is why it failed? I saw nothing else in there that would indicate failure.

Code:
                          mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type. File /home/remastersys/ISOTMP/casper/filesystem.squashfs is too large for current mode - ignoring
                          Not to mention the ISO was only 9.8 MB!!??

Also this was in backup mode as well.

filesystem.squashfs = 12.1GB

Comment

Cool beans!  I got it with a little help from Fragadelic

The error:
                            mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type. File /home/remastersys/ISOTMP/casper/filesystem.squashfs is too large for current mode - ignoring
                            simply means you're trying to pack too much information into your .iso file; to fix it, you'll need to exclude some info.  Run the command
                            Code:
                            kdesu kate /etc/remastersys.conf
                            Find the section that looks something like
                            # Here you can add any other files or directories to be excluded from the live filesystem
                            # Separate each entry with a space
                            EXCLUDES=""
                            Enter the exact value for every directory you want to exclude from the file between the quotation ("") marks, each being separated by a (white) space.  If I wanted to exclude '/home/[username]/Downloads' and '/data/My_Music', the configuration should look something like
                            # Here you can add any other files or directories to be excluded from the live filesystem
                            # Separate each entry with a space
                            EXCLUDES="/home/[username]/Downloads /data/My_Music"
                            (there is a space between the 2 directories)

Then, run the commands
                            Code:
                            sudo su
                            and
                            Code:
                            remastersys dist
                            Let it run, and once it's finished - as long as you excluded enough information - you should have a nice .iso file of your system, ready to be burned to disk or run in a virtual machine (which works by the way).
                            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

I am going to check this out. Pretty neat. Would be handy for my mythbox. I wish though that people would just use sudo and knock off the root crap. It just gets noobs in trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X