This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Kubuntu: Not ready for prime time."

ok, this is my first post ever... here... hell, i've been a member of the ubuntu forum longer than here... but as a COMPLETE windows/MAC user, I ran the liveOS of Kubuntu, and if running the full OS install is just as easy or better than the liveOS then I must say that your "not ready for prime time" statement is pure bullsh*t.

Ubuntu almost had me, hell I'm still thinking about it... but the percentage that's making me want to go to ubuntu is FAR less than the reasons why I'd stick with Kubuntu.

Matter of fact, a few friends and myself challenged another windows user... and this kid is HARDCORE on bill gates' side, and totally hating on Linux and "how hard it was to run" - we told him about kubuntu, and about 10 others (including myself) and to install it... everyone was up and running within 20 minutes! AND IT RECOGNIZED ALL OUR HARDWARE IN NO TIME!!!

Being that I go back with linux as far as it being a sparkle in someone's eye... and installing it in a few other machines when i was in my early EARLY teens (13 even) I can see the major changes in ease from then and now.

Kubuntu is winning me over completely, and I'm willing to give up my adobe photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, and all my video editing software in my xp to run on linux's distro of Kubuntu. Coming from a graphic/web designer... that's almost suicide!!! I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT GIMP! but give me a few hours and i'll be pulling off the same or better graphic art I was doing with adobe.

There are a few things right nwo that are keeping me from installing it right now (one of them being at work and not at my home pc) but rest assured that I believe in kubuntu so much that tomorrow I'm waking up to a Linux machine.

Goodbye M$... for good!!!

Comment

Re: Kubuntu: Not ready for prime time.

I came from Mandriva Powerpack to Kubuntu. There isn't anything that you can do in Powerpack that you can't in Kubuntu. The only thing would really be Cegera, which is pretty much just WINE. :P

The live cd of Kubuntu is better then the whole of Mandriva Powerpack.

Comment

Re: Kubuntu: Not ready for prime time.

I love how people make these statements and don't give any valid examples. I have tried Mepis and found it far less ready to Kubuntu just because it was not very friendly with my hardware and didn't hold a candle to how nice Kubuntu looks OOTB. So for a windows user both are basically the same (both have KDE) but Kubuntu is maybe a tad nicer looking, but Kubuntu has by far better hardware recognition. Obviously this may change once Mepis gets into Ubuntu repos and bases itself off ubuntu in this next version of theirs.

Comment

Working...
        X