Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HD space a problem? How's a terabyte HD for your laptop sound?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HD space a problem? How's a terabyte HD for your laptop sound?

Yes, you read right. Toshiba has announced that it will be fielding latops by 2009 with terabyte HDs!!

Hitachi to Produce Terabyte Laptop HDD
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: HD space a problem? How's a terabyte HD for you laptop sound?

That's insane!!! (But cool though)

What in the world would you do with a terabyte hd on your laptop
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Re: HD space a problem? How's a terabyte HD for your laptop sound?

Yup, the mere thought of such a vast amount of storage space boggles the mind! If one even came close to filling it up, how (and to where) would you back it up?!
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That is probably goin to be VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY expensive
        LINUX. IT'S SO EASY, EVEN A PENGUIN CAN DO IT.

Comment

I remember when I was programming on a commodore 128...who could EVER use 128k of memory! I'm sure we will find things to fill the 1 TB of disk with...
          mm0
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
            I remember when I was programming on a commodore 128...who could EVER use 128k of memory!&#160; I'm sure we will find things to fill the 1 TB of disk with...
            mm0
            Definitely - a 1Tb hard drive would probably be good for those who have large music/video collections they would like to store on their PC.&#160; Other than that, though, I don't see much use for such a large hard drive.&#160; I mean, can you imagine how many lines of code would be required take to fill 1Tb with applications (you could install all 24000+ applications from the repos several times over)
            Asus G1S-X3:
            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

For desktops, it's not crazy. Here's a nice half-Terabyte drive for a little over $100 USD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136073

Amarok says I already have 2 days' worth of music -- and I don't have 2 days to listen to it!

Comment

LOL yeah I remember when the 1 gig hard drives came out and everyone thought there is no way we could use that much file space. I think the 1 Tgig is more for the main stream pre-loaded OS. With each version it takes more and more space just to hold and run the basic program.

Of course I want one. Be cause I keep a large music/video collection. Have to love my desktop MP3 player

James

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
                  I remember when I was programming on a commodore 128...who could EVER use 128k of memory! I'm sure we will find things to fill the 1 TB of disk with...
                  mm0
                  Oh boy do I remember that! I also remember when I got my first 10MB drive - I think it was that large -at the time. Thought the same thing. I will never fill that up. I have a 500GB drive on this machine and its 60% full. That is my problem now. How do I back all that up!?? Couldn't imaging 1 TB. Although I guess I can have quite a few test partitions !

Comment

Yeah, I'm old enough to remember being thrilled when I got a floppy disk drive for my Commodore 64. Yay, I was able to run a word processor on that baby!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                      Yeah, I'm old enough to remember being thrilled when I got a floppy disk drive for my Commodore 64. Yay, I was able to run a word processor on that baby!
                      Was it GEOS by any chance!!?? That's what I remember.

Comment

I had 2 floppy disk drives! that and my 300 baud modem, and I could do anything! of course, I started on a vic20 with 5k memory, and a datasette! Man, I feel old now...
                        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise

Was it GEOS by any chance!!?? That's what I remember.
                          I think maybe it was! The hexadecimal code was published in a magazine, and I entered it by hand, one byte at a time, until I had the whole thing. Of course, then I had to go buy a piece of crap dot matrix printer for the "system".

Comment

no, I remember that one (the hex code), I did that too...GEOS was different...never used it, but I had a friend who loved it!

Comment

GEOS was great, and I actually can give you the model of printer - MPS801 (sitting in the closet). Yep, I feel old

Comment

Working...
                              X