This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving up!

Okay, so I cannot get wireless to work and there is no shortage of brief posts regarding the chipset in my usb dongle but no one has got it to work. There are claims of it working in Ubuntu forums but no step-by-step instructions.

KNetwork Manager is a piece of junk with no way of selecting WPA. I couldn't find any alternatives. Everything required elaborate configurations just to have a program to try to set up WPA.

All of a sudden Azureus cannot connect to the port. I have it working and configured in Windows.

I'm done. This has only taken vast amounts of time with no headway whatsoever. I also think the Ubuntu community is dominated by smug jerks who bash anyone who doesn't correspond to their way of thinking.

The community seems to be full of hypocritical messages if you go to the main site. There is supposed to be an open and inviting atmosphere but it is not, at least not when it comes to the forums. The creators of Ubuntu don't seem to care for KDE or Kubuntu since it seems when something works, it's usually in Gnome.

Linux has a long way to go until it has usable OS for the typical desktop user.

Re: Giving up!

On behalf of the rest of the smug jerks, have a good weekend.

Comment

Nothing is worse than the Ubuntu environment (i.e. forums). Hypocrites...

Too bad that the corporate Ubuntu factions don't seem to care about Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by kbunt
        corporate Ubuntu factions
        Is there such a thing? I see no evidence of organized central direction ....

Comment

It's listed at the bottom of the Ubuntu forum. VBulletin...etc.

I'm totally turned off. I was insulted and had to read personal attacks. Yet, my account is disabled. It is despicable. Can I say I won't support Ubuntu?

Comment

I stared at the Ubuntu Forum page until my eyes crossed, and didn't find anything about "VBulletins" or "corporate" anything.

Comment

dibl, didn't I see you yesterday at Oktoberfest. You were hammered swinging a string of knockwurst.

Comment

Ja, Hans!

Actually, that SHOULD have been me!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  I stared at the Ubuntu Forum page until my eyes crossed, and didn't find anything about "VBulletins" or "corporate" anything.
                  vBulletin 3.6.8 ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Ubuntu Logo, Ubuntu and Canonical © Canonical Ltd. Tango Icons © Tango Desktop Project.
                  These are just 'credits' for the software/services provider/et all that make the Unbunt Forum possible. Nothing more than that.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

...at the risk of being labeled one of the uppity horrible people kbunt is complaining about, I'm going to hypothesize that he's simply seeking attention. This is like the third thread (I've noticed) in the last week or two where he's said that our community sucks, that we're unhelpful, and that he's giving up.

Someone, other than him, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just what it seems like from my perspective.

Comment

I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Troll. Ignore mode on.

Comment

I call for this thread to be closed, we are not here to help people give up, no offense meant to the thread starter but we are busy and should be busy with those people who we can help and those who show the want to help be helped. When someone is ready to challenge linux or re challenge linux, we should be there but if someone repeatedly starts a thread saying in effect that he is leaving then for everyones sake let him leave thinking whatever he wishes while we must turn our attention to the task ahead of us, keeping up with the growing number of linux users.
                          every day is a gift

Comment

I was talking about the Ubuntu forums, not necessarily here but why post your two cents with such a response? Calling me a troll?

I would usually explain myself but I don't anymore. I am just posting to say I am not going to further comment about the topic. I'm not sure what provokes a reaction like 'ignore him' or 'he's a troll.' I guess that is typical in forums.

Anyway...I apologize for bothering you all.

Comment

I hate how a distro can be a POS and if some experts or experienced users even agree but they just don't post in forums, then the fans of the distro call you a troll if you criticize it.

Kubuntu has been nothing but problems. Ubuntu uses gnome which is supposed to make things easier but makes it even harder instead. I like that Kubuntu uses KDE but the package managing system is pathetic and nothing is already installed. I cannot fathom how 'linux' users think Linux is ready for the desktop as a mainstream OS. I guess it is all wishful-thinking. These people are delirious, imho. They're in another world! I would like a Windows replacement/alternative just as much as the next guy (who hates Windows' way of doing things) but realistically, it is not anywhere near ready.

There's too many things that go wrong. Too many bugs. You have to spend oodles of time learning command line maneuvers. I don't mind learning this but when simple things turn into complicated projects, one can't expect the OS to be ready to replace Windows 'point and click.'

The problem as I see it, is when there is a method in Linux that works better than Windows, you have to spend lots of time trying to figure out something and for some people, they find no matter what they do, it doesn't work. Yet, these same problems keep appearing in new releases and never get fixed by the developers. Things aren't made easier. They are made EVEN HARDER. Why can't people see this?!?

Comment

Working...
                              X