This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCBSD -My Journey-

This is not really a 'show down' post, this is just where I thought it'd go because it's about another OS. Anyrate, I have heard some things about PCBSD so I thought I'd give it a go. I started this as a log to myself more than anything, and will contain tricks/traps/boggles/fights/hits/misses..

I will post more after it's installed. Well, if it DOES install. 8)

I am not leaving you Kubuntu, I am just sowing my wild oats.
    Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Re: PCBSD -My Journey-

Well... The install graphics 'chooser' chose 'nv' 1024x768 24bit 75hz. However, KDE runs at 800x600 8bit 60hz and I can't change it.

I downloaded the nVidia driver, and got the 'no kernel source' error. So I am fetching the system sources from a built in util they use. It's been fetching for about 20 minutes.

Other than the fonts looking like they came from the movie War Games, and running at a resolution I did not even know existed anymore, it seems stable.

I'll play with more of the media properties after the nVidia boggle is fixed. Also, FireFox plugins look bare as usual...

Of course I am searching the forum before I ask stupid questions. I mean, I ran Kubuntu for a long time before I had a postable boggle... ANyhoo, tips hare welcome. ;-)
    Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Comment

Re: PCBSD -My Journey- -ENDED-

Well.. let's just say I'll not go down that road again soon. As with most BSD releases I've seen, it's a grand back end solution, but not a good desktop solution...

Thanks for the tolerance,

Ted out...

Comment

Working...
      X