This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello All

I didn't locate a 'Introduce Yourself' thread (didn't dig real deep though) but wanted to say hello. Have been wading through the forums for a few days since I installed kubuntu-desktop on my ubuntu laptop. I have a couple years experience with Linux distros, SuSE, knoppix, PCLOS which I spent the longest time with, a few weeks with ubuntu and lastnight installed kubuntu (7.04) over my ubuntu installation. Just seem to prefer KDE over Gnome and didn't really care for the 2 DE's on the same laptop. Too many GTK programs in my menu making it look all mucky.

Regardless, have found everything to work perfectly and my Dell D600 laptop works perfectly out of the box. Wireless works and my video card works fine.

Anyhow, thanks for the forums and helpful information!
    Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10 Beta

Re: Hello All

welcome to this site too, sorry there does not seem to have a welcome new members thread but if you find someone belittling kubuntu then you can just add your introduction there as most people do
    every day is a gift

Comment

Great -- Welcome!

Please take whatever opportunities present themselves to help the new users -- the requests for assistance tend to swamp the Forum, at times.

Comment

fleamailman, dibl:

Thanks for the welcome. I will help out where I can (with my limited knowledge). I noticed you guys seem to be well on top of most questions though!
        Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10 Beta

Comment

Welcome to the table, grab a beer or whatever and make yourself comfy
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks Fintan. It's 9:30 am here. Having a coffee and working (on my winxp work pc since I haven't shown enough proof that I can use Linux here....).

But tonight, I shall grab a beer and enjoy it!
            Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10 Beta

Comment

Hi

Welcome to the forum.
              Are you a dual booter with Windows XP and Kubuntu?

Antkin
              Network of two Dell Optiplex dual boot Pentium 4s, Linux user since 1999 Very Happy with Kubuntu and Mandriva. Three other native&nbsp; computers. Computers in my blood since 1975.<br /><br />A Perkin Web Design and computer hardware engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Antkin
                Hi

Welcome to the forum.
                Are you a dual booter with Windows XP and Kubuntu?

Antkin
                Antkin, how about a 2 month old response

No, not dual booting with Windows. Actually I currently have Ubuntu 8.04, Kubuntu 8.04, Debian Unstable, Fedora 9 (Gnome), Foresight 2 QA. All on this poor, abused, hard drive.
                Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10 Beta

Comment

Originally posted by Perpetual
                  No, not dual booting with Windows. Actually I currently have Ubuntu 8.04, Kubuntu 8.04, Debian Unstable, Fedora 9 (Gnome), Foresight 2 QA. All on this poor, abused, hard drive.
                  Just curious, are you still running Kubuntu on your Dell D600? I am interested in a laptop, and I want to make sure whatever I end up having will have a compatible wireless network card for Kubuntu.

Thanks!
                  Dai
                  Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
                  Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Most of the Wireless Cards out there in Out-of-box laptops are supported, but every now and then you might have to use a restricted driver, but that's not to often. I've installed Kubuntu 6.06, 7.10, and 8.04 on over 20+ laptops, and only had 1 that needed to have a restricted driver because the owner had made it himself.
                    The early bird might get the worm, but it&#39;s the second mouse who always gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                    X