This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Linux Kubuntu - You gota love it!

Agreed 100%, but hey, wouldn't it be interesting to see the stink they would kick up if they weren't legally allowed to download and run Linux in the US?
    That could light quite a fire under the patent systems' collective arses.
    I'm one of the "they."

I would suggest that making Linux illegal in the US would be a close alignment with Microsoft's thinking. The only people it would hurt are the people who already agree with you about the need for alternatives.

Those of us who want ethical relations with others don't need your version of a seat warmer. We're just as committed as you are. We need your support, and a furtherance of the concept of human connection and responsibility, not an extension of factionalism and prejudice.

Ordinary citizens in the US have been taking exception to governmental actions since this pot of gumbo was first organized by a starving bunch of expatriate europeans tired of governmental restrictions, only a few generations back. Dissension and variation of opinion are not a new phenomenon here. And you sure can't encourage it by attempting to remove it . . . as a sort of didactic punishment.

Corporate greed is a multinational social disease. It doesn't stop at the US border. Look to your own country for signs of similar infection. They won't be hard to find no matter where you live. Nor will good people fighting for a good and responsible society, either.

Comment

I've used Kubuntu for almost two years now. As soon as Vista came out, I knew I needed to try something else since Vista was being panned by critics even before its release. I'm also a file-sharing pirate with a nice healthy collection of illegally-downloaded MP3s and movies. I had heard that won't fly with Vista as they will be adding security features to put a stop to that.

First I tried Ubuntu, since that seemed to be all the rage. I really didn't like it. The default color scheme is horrible so as soon as it was installed I had to figure out a way to fix that. Also, it looked and felt very Mac OS8-ish. So I dumped Ubuntu and went with Kubuntu. It was much more familiar to me as a former Windows user and since then I've been able to dump Windows for everything except my TV tuner card. I can't understand why Kubuntu isn't more popular than Ubuntu.

Comment

Redhat. anyway Kubuntu

I am not dual booting but I have a dedicated xp machine for my cad system (unigraphics aka UG). UG does have a linux port now but it is tailored toward suse and Redhat. anyway Kubuntu has fulfilled all my other needs. I have loaded it on many machines. I am the support for about a dozen people and every reload gets a dual boot w/ kubuntu.

Comment

Sounds like my story. I got my first liveCD as a gift from the University of Arkansas. They gave it to me on a field trip with a club I am presently the President of. HEHE. The club is the best of the IT (Information Technology)field of our school. Well anyway the club is called Technology Honor Society. Our school has become the only school in Arkansas with an IT Academy. The version is the 6.06 version. I just requested the new 8.10 BETA version and look forward to getting it in the mail. I would already have it but I have dial-up at home.

Comment

I love the fact that when windblows crashes you pretty much have to reload the whole stupid thing and loose everything. When I crashed my Kubuntu, I typed in a couple of commands and wallah I got my Kubuntu back, nothing lost.
            "Just say no to the virus called windows"

Comment

Originally posted by jerzdirtcrew
              I love the fact that when windblows crashes you pretty much have to reload the whole stupid thing and loose everything. When I crashed my Kubuntu, I typed in a couple of commands and wallah I got my Kubuntu back, nothing lost.
              Yep and on other lines if you are like me and "play" around with things in the OS you tend to "break" things that only a re-install will repair. Great to be able to reinstall and not loose any personal files or settings. Can't really say that for the other OS. I've been down that road many times.

Comment

I was actually terrified to do anything in windows. You screw up a setting and all is lost. I was also in Linux but here anything can be fixed with a command line. I am more comfortable using Linux than windows.

Comment

Besides, I can get a 4mb flash drive and carry my whole operating system around, windblows is so bloated and unstable its hard to even have it on a hard drive.

Comment

Kubuntu could be good but Ubuntu doesn't support it and doesn't care. Every guide, every comment or instruction is always based on Ubuntu. Fixes, updates show up on Ubuntu first. I suspect Ubuntu developers would rather KDE or Kubuntu die so they don't have to use the time.

Comment

That's a bit harsh dude.
                      OpenSuse doesn't have much to offer Kubuntu in their forums either, let's give them a bash too.
                      The Ubuntu forum is primarily aimed at Ubuntu users, and we have the Kubuntu forums for Kubuntu.
                      Both are supported by Canonical.
                      The Kubuntu forums have for me answered 99% of my issues, and some have been answered from the Ubuntu forums too.
                      Generally I have found the Ubuntu forums and documentation to be largely desktop environment agnostic.
                      Often their guides give specific instructions for KDE where there is a difference.
                      Most of the tweaks and fixes I have made have been in the base system rather than the desktop environment.
                      The fixes and updates that you mention are also mostly in the base system.
                      They even go out of their way to help Windows and Mac users.
                      You don't need a license to drive a sandwich.

Comment

Directly from the font page of ubuntuforums.org:
                        Main Support Categories
                        ( 155,334 Threads ) ( 750,490 Replies )
                        Choose the most appropriate category for your questions regarding ANY Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Edubuntu release.
                        Hmm. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu. Doesn't seem that they are exclusive to Ubuntu, now does it?
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, you can make that claim. But, if you dig a little, there are threads in the Ubuntu forums of people even admitting that Kubuntu gets a 2nd class seat.

Ubuntu progresses/advances first and then Kubuntu comes out. It's the way it is. If it was just a desktop issue, I don't think it would be like that.

Unless the Gnome development is easier to implement. I don't know any other explanation.

Comment

kbunt, I have had a good look around at some of your many posts, and can only conclude that you are a dick head.
                            The updates come from the same repositories, so how is it exactly that Ubuntu gets them first?
                            I doubt that you would have any issues if you put as much effort into sorting out your problems as you do into your constant whining.

Anyway, that is the end of any comment I may address to you.
                            When I argue with a fool then there are two.
                            You don't need a license to drive a sandwich.

Comment

I never get that impression that kubuntu is somewhat a second placed ubuntu flavour...just another flavour with somethings on kubuntu leading the way especially in terms of it's desktop.

I got my dell preinstalled with ubuntu which was great but did not look or feel or work the way I wanted, so I nudge the kde desktop and all the rest into it and never looked back. Not used it since.

and this forum and the ubuntu forum have both been a tremendous help in sorting any issues I have out...it grinds that some feel so negative about the system and those that support it.. that it turns to a rant..choose a system that works for you...

I did and it does

Sure I get a little envious that I cannot get 8:10 working yet but I have barely mastered 8.04 if I am honest and have only recently ( ie this year 2009) got my graphics card issues sorted ...but after getting it sorted I was pleased as punch and grateful for the help various people here, other places have given not grumped about why have not kde people etc sorted this.

If it had been windows remember I would have long given up
                              Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Originally posted by andybleaden
                                I never get that impression that kubuntu is somewhat a second placed ubuntu flavour...
                                Nor do I. I think that most issues now come from kde's current development.

Comment

Working...
                                X