This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mac, Pc or Linux

Yes I prefer KDE over Gnome, used KDE with Mandriva for 3 Years. I have Kubuntu on one computer a dual boot with windows XP
    All my other computers have Ubuntu with KDE desktops, it take a download of about 150 file to do this.

Antkin
    I prefer to have 2 seperate computers, one with each operating system. My laptop is capable of running anything i throw at it, leaving the now outdated (by windows standards!) pc to run Linux. I found running a dual boot on the pc meant i was too tempted to boot into XP and do things i could otherwise do quite easily in 7.10... So when i got the laptop i wiped the hard drives and just installed Kubuntu. It works well for me, as i cant be bothered to get the laptop out after ive spent most the day using it, so i do everything at home on the pc.

It would be nice if you could explain one thing for me though... Why do you run Ubuntu with a KDE frontend? Would it not be easier to run Kubuntu instead? I know Gnome and KDE will run on either Linux Distro, but isnt Kubuntu geared towards KDE and have all associated KDE software with it, while Ubuntu the same with Gnome? - Im sure their is a good reason, it just seems odd...
    Custom PC (Solely) Kubuntu 7.10 32bit<br />AMD Sempron 64 3000, 1GB DDR, RAD 9200Pro GFX<br />Dell Vostro 1500 laptop running XP Pro - I know, i know! <br />Intel T7300, 4GB DDR, 8600M GT 256mb GFX

Comment

So do I and use vmware for that. I hear virtualbox is pretty sexy as well:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windo...re-59314.shtml

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Unite...ck-78535.shtml
      Thanks for the links mate. Eventually i plan to move everything over, but for now i have the laptop to run all this software. Work wont let me use a Linux platform at work, it has to be either Windows 2000 Pro, or XP Pro... So since i mostly use it at work, and can use the laptop at home as well im not too worried right now... In time i would like to go completely linux based though... But until i can convince work of this i cant, as i rely on being able to connect my laptop to the network at work for my degree studying.
      Custom PC (Solely) Kubuntu 7.10 32bit<br />AMD Sempron 64 3000, 1GB DDR, RAD 9200Pro GFX<br />Dell Vostro 1500 laptop running XP Pro - I know, i know! <br />Intel T7300, 4GB DDR, 8600M GT 256mb GFX

Comment

Edit your poll so that is says "Windows" instead of "PC". "PC" means personal computer, it is not a synonym for Windows.
        LINUX. IT&#39;S SO EASY, EVEN A PENGUIN CAN DO IT.

Comment

Originally posted by lee.mcintyre

Why do you run Ubuntu with a KDE frontend? Would it not be easier to run Kubuntu instead? I know Gnome and KDE will run on either Linux Distro, but isnt Kubuntu geared towards KDE and have all associated KDE software with it, while Ubuntu the same with Gnome? - Im sure their is a good reason, it just seems odd...
          If you install KDE on Ubuntu by installing the kubuntu-desktop package, the result is in most respects identical to Kubuntu. There are a few differences, most notably the bootsplash and possibly login screen may look like Ubuntu. Also you might find that the gnome desktop starts loading KDE apps as defaults (I had that happen with xubuntu-desktop over kubuntu).
          I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Working...
          X