This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying computer equipment in the USA

I recently moved to Texas, and I need to find good sources for hardware. In the near future I am looking to buy a laptop to run Kubuntu, and install one of my desktops as a more "media-center" like machine in the living room. It is gonna require some modification, of course.

Where I used to live (small country in Europe) I used a couple of good online stores for purchasing almost all my computer equipment. Are there any US ones? (IE Which ones do you have experience with and would you recommend them?)

Are Fry's and CompUSA retail stores any good in comparison to the online stores?

PS: I prefer building my own computers by assembling parts and stuffing them into a box, just for fun and learning.

Re: Buying computer equipment in the USA

Well, you have come to the right forum to ask, Heinkel. Here's where I have obtained the parts for 2 computers in the past 2 years:

http://www.newegg.com/

Of everything I bought, I had one PSU that died on the first power up, and probably it was under-sized for the application (i.e. my fault). But they RMA'd it with no questions asked.

When I actually go to the store, I go to CompUSA. I bought an e-machines PC there for a family member, and set it up with Kubuntu (even though it came with Vista pre-installed). It's been running for 4 months now, no problems, and I got 3 different rebates on it, which brought the cost of the PC with a 19" widescreen LCD monitor down to around the $800 level.

In the past, I've also had good luck using CDW for hard drives and printers and monitors. Here it is:

http://www.cdw.com/

Enjoy the land of materialism!

Comment

I usually buy all my computer bits from http://tigerdirect.com/, but I hear really good things about New Egg, which dibl already recommended.

They closed the CompUSA near me, but I didn't mind shopping there for minor parts and things that were new and not likely to be discounted yet. I'm not a fan of Fry's, but that's mostly because they have such horrible service in the store. Price wise, Fry's tends to beat CompUSA, but I've gotten better (but not very good) service from CompUSA.

You'll probably want to stick with the online stores where you can though, prices tend to be better that way, but the big box real space stores are useful when something like a CD drive or power supply take a dive, or you just need a quick place to grab a tool.

Comment

I use Newegg almost exclusively. You certainly want to check their "open box" section for some great prices.

Comment

Hi guys
          I am sorry for not responding before, but I just somehow couldn't log into this forum from my windows computer at work Also, life suddenly made me busy with all sorts of other acitivities for a while. Some I even got paid for :P
          Anyway, thanks for your advice - I will be looking into newegg. I am also curious about Dell's linux laptops.

Comment

Working...
          X