X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simply Mepis to switch from Ubuntu to Debian

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6170488551.html

Whatcha think about what Warren had to say??
    txWingMan

Re: Simply Mepis to switch from Ubuntu to Debian

Looks like an(other) addition to my virtual test machine park 8) thanks for hinting ...

Comment

Warren makes it sound as if *buntu is some type of cross-pollinated Debian. He knows much more about it than I do of course, but I don't get it.

txWingMan

Comment

Originally posted by txHarleyMan
        Warren makes it sound as if *buntu is some type of cross-pollinated Debian.
        Am I supposed to be surprised? - Actually, I'm referring to Ubuntu as one of Debian's "bastard childs" :P
        But maybe you could ask Warrem himself? Would be interesting to "hear" him elaborate on this topic ...

Comment

LOL. Would love to if I could, but looks like they're going to be at the expo in SanFran:

http://www.mepis.org/node/7296

txWingMan

Comment

Would love to if I could
            Ever heard of e-mail ...?

they're going to be at the expo in SanFran
            Which is definitely closer to you than to me

Comment

I doubted the switch from debian to ubuntu (dapper) in the first place :P

In the light of the article it seems it was a misunderstanding of how the dapper repositories were going to be updated...after all dapper seems a bit old to base a current release on.

From what I conclude after reading the article, Mepis is planning on mixing and matching parts of ubuntu onto debian base, I'm looking forward to see how that goes

I don't think ubuntu uses debian experimental sources as mentioned in the article, though, at least not on a larger scale...I always thought ubuntu is built from debian unstable.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Comment

I think you are correct Kubicle, and I agree with you. It does look like Warren was expecting LTS to stay more current for some reason. (though with Ubuntu's backports setup, it could be more current than a basic LTS install)

Unfortunately, it may just create more work for the developer(s) until it is all sorted out.

Comment

Working...
                X