This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMWare - The Answer to Program Compatibility

So this is just me thinking... but is VMWare REALLY the way to go...

Sure, it allows you to install another OS natively in your Linux (or whatever) OS computer you have so that you can run favourite programs that you enjoy in that particular OS that isn't compatible with your Linux box - but is this really the way to go? I'll admit, I'm new to linux, and loving it! But the thing that always (or in the past used to) sends me tail between my legs to the "other" os's was a simple fact of software availability and compatibility.

To me, it defeats the purpose of using linux if I still have to install a virtual machine in order run programs of proven quality and compatibility (legally, I still need to own a copy of Windows to install on my VM). Should the community be (I shudder to use the term) "lobbying" more to increase awareness of the open source "revolution"? Or does it fill a purpose on its own that I'm perhaps not seeing - perhaps it's me that thinks I NEED to use "mainstream" programs in order to be productive in my techno life?

Lately I've become more and more aware of the void open source software can fill (developing nations and communities can embrace the techno revolution with very little cost - well the cost of the system, thats it - and begin communicating and sharing on the same level as other nations/communities). Working primarily with non-profits I've since started advocating the use of open source as a major cost saving way to become techno ready as a budding business. OpenOffice.org is a great example of open source programs taking a stab at "mainstream" (anyone notice that Google Documents lists in its "save as" menu the OpenOffice format along with all over mainstreams?). My office - a fledging music festival in Halifax Nova Scotia - has been forced to start expanding simply based on the size of the operation for the yearly festival. To cut down costs we have added two Fedora 7 computers which are used as workstations, and the office has started to embrace the open source community (the boss has already indicated he will not upgrade licenses for M$ Office and simply switch to OpenOffice.org for our major productivity software needs). GIMP is used for minor image editing (our photographers will still use photoshop for their needs... but the rest of us are starting to use the open source equivalent for our more fancier destop publishing needs). There's talk of investigating the open source world for accounting software (a perpetual and steep cost for any business that is too small to outsource the effort) that is supported and updated to reflect tax standards.

All in all, open source is a veritably untapped resource - many tech savvy people I know have never looked twice at Linux because it isn't on the shelf at Futureshop or Staples.

So maybe I'll have to keep using Virtual Machine to properly play my favourite game. So is my beef with just that? If linux had more native ports for my favourite games - would I be a happy lark in my Kubuntu desktop? Well I'm not unhappy right now, so what am I rambling about?

Perhaps it's just me... maybe the virtual machine is me...

Just some thoughts from a newb.

L.

Re: VMWare - The Answer to Program Compatibility

Two thoughts, Mailman:

1. There are some little niches where open source simply has nothing equivalent to offer. In my case, it is "The Master Genealogist" -- a very high-end genealogy app built on MS Visual FoxPro, that kinda has to run on Windows. Period. And yes, I did waste a week with the Wine techs trying it that way -- no go. So VMW Player is the way to go for that purpose.

2. Hardware. Although my VMW Player WinXP machine is pretty good, and runs OK with the printer, CD/DVD drive, and ethernet, the reality is that it doesn't "touch" the real hardware underneath. So, flashing BIOS, addressing the PCI and USB bus directly, etc. just can't really be done from a virtual machine. You have to be able to get your hands on the OS that has the necessary capability -- I'm not saying Linux can't be used to flash your BIOS, I'm just saying ..... think through everything you'll ever need to do before you do anything irreversible.

Comment

Working...
    X