This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puppy

I just put a Puppy cd into an old HP celeron 466 with 256 of ram. Just one word "WOW"! This machine has never been so fast. My main machine is a Compaq with an AMD 3200+ with 2gig of ram and of course Kubuntu. I have not crunched any numbers on this but this old machine with puppy just might be out running my Kubuntu box.

Now I just have to figure out how to install it.

eriefisher
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Re: Puppy

I saw a very complimentary writeup on Dreamlinux in one of the online rags the other day -- have you tried it?

I put an e-live system on this Maxtor IDE drive that I use for backups (I keep expecting the Maxtor to catch on fire or just crash ...). Anyway, the guy that develops it must be working like crazy because I've been getting all kinds of updates lately -- almost every day, and it really seems to be coming along fairly well. If only its system time weren't perpetually 4 hours behind my time .... :P

Comment

I'll try to find that wright up, thanks.

I have the same problem with the time (4hrs ahead). I haven't got that far yet.

Comment

You can change it for the session with the date command, but at re-boot you're back to the wrong time.

Comment

It must have a default time zone preset? Doesn't really matter though, I'm just so impressed at how fast it is.

Comment

I don't remember the e-live installation routine asking me which time zone I live in -- prolly that's the problem.

Comment

If you're switching between Linux and windoze when your time changes, the problem is that Linux thinks your RTC is set to UT, while windoze thinks it sets to GST (Gates Standard Time) which is your local timezone, or maybe vice-versa. Open /etc/default/rcS and change the "UTC=no" to yes, or maybe vice-versa.

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
                Just one word "WOW"!
                I keep recommending to first try this distribution on legacy hardware for a reason

Originally posted by eriefisher
                Now I just have to figure out how to install it.
                You may take a look at this for starters: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HowToUsePuppy

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                  Open /etc/default/rcS and change the "UTC=no" to yes, or maybe vice-versa.
                  Hmmmmmmm. That's odd -- I changed it to UTC=no, then I reset the time with the "date" command, which was fine, then I rebooted and it's straight back to Alaska Daylight Time. That e-live is one strange distro! But kinda cool anyway ...

Comment

the install goes funny for me, probably missing something, but the live CD is great
                    every day is a gift

Comment

The install is a little strange(basically copying files) but I think it still runs as if it was on cd.

What a cool distro and concept. I wander if they will ever make a full blown installation?

Comment

I have a rather modern laptop I tried puppy on. Suffice to say I have never had anything open in less than a second from clicking on it before. If it was more feature rich I woulda stuck to it but seemed to e just too much to customize and add to bring it upto my Kubuntu installs functionality.

Comment

Working...
                        X