This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your opinions please

I thought this looked like a good deal. What do you think?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...CCODE=CANEM883
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Re: Your opinions please

It sure pegs the cheap-meter!

But, I see no GPU mentioned, and the VGA port may REALLY be VGA (640 x 480). Are you gonna put a graphics card in it? What kind of monitor are you planning on running with it? And what about sound -- don't see anything mentioned.

Comment

I do have an old GForce4 4200Ti video card here somewhere. As for sound, cards are cheap and easy to come by if you don't want anything special.

(that was a quick reply)

Comment

D945GCCRL essential series offers a cost-efficient integrated graphics solution
        Prolly it's that 945 mobile GPU. It will run the i810 driver, and get you about 750 fps with glxgears. Good enough to run Beryl, I hear.

If you can find a cheap 19" wide format display, you can run 1400 x 900. I got one of those at CompUSA for $295, and there was a $70 rebate, so it ended up $225. Looks pretty nice.

Comment

I think I'll go for it. I've always had good luck with Tiger Direct.

Comment

The D945GCCR comes with a Realtek ALC883 audio codec which supports high quality 6-channel audio.
            You might want to search the forums and see if that chip works OK with Linux. I don't recognize it.

Comment

Well from this forum:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084872.0

Notice it mentions some post you made.
              Thanks dibl

Comment

Don't get wrong the machine looks great for the price but I have noticed that the trend these days is away from desktops probably because when something goes wrong one has to lumber the computer to the nearest repair shop which is no joke if one doesn't have a car. So the trend seems more for two types of laptops: real small ones(to carry around) and theater type ones, and it is these theater type ones that are increasingly taking over the place of the desktop.

Another point, but this is not a problem of linux as we know, when one has a super huge harddrive those malware scans take forever and the temptation is to leave all ones data on the drive because the drive never seems to get full, which is just inviting a harddrive-death at some point where one loses all because one didn't or couldn't back up all one data because the source drive was just to big.

Also, though it may be different in your part of the world since I am only talking about Geneva where I live, there is very little second hand market for desktops because people worry about the drivers for the parts and whether the kit is sound in its combination of parts(a lot of sellers just rope together bits and sell it as a whole machine) whereas this is not the case for a laptop.
                every day is a gift

Comment

You make some interesting points, fleamailman, but anyone who builds their own computer is not likely to be worried about having to haul it to some repair shop. They will be doing their own repairs.

Malware scans? What's that? We're talking linux here.

Those of us who build our own computers don't really worry about resale value. When we build our next computer we'll be cannibalizing this one for all the usable parts. The tower and power supply, for example.

Comment

@eriefisher -- you might need this to get your sound working: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...Realtek+ALC883

@fleamailman -- I think you're probably correct regarding the popular trend toward laptops in general -- it looks that way to me. Also your point regarding resale value (second hand market) -- it is the same in Geneva, Ohio, USA.

But us Linux dweebs don't scan our hard drives for viruses and malware, so that problem is pretty much irrelevant (there are a few exceptions, I have heard).

Also, if you want to push the performance of your computer, you need a fast motherboard/CPU combination, lots of fast RAM and big 10,000 rpm hard drives -- either very expensive or not available for laptops. So, I am stuck using this thing I built until it is ready for the dustbin, I guess

Comment

Working...
                    X