This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IE and FireFox Fight -Critical-

Apparently, if you surf the web with IE and have FireFox installed, IE can pass mal code embedded in site URL's.

Of course, if you surf safe sites then there is only a slight chance of the exploit, unless somebody 'hacks' your favorite site and puts it in.

Anyrate, here's the hub-bub.

The vulnerability allows IE to send malicious data to Firefox. Information on the Mozilla Security Blog indicates that the vulnerability might also allow IE to send bad data to other Windows programs, although Mozilla researchers said they were not aware of any such incidents.

Mozilla said it will be issuing a patch in the upcoming 2.0.0.5 release of Firefox, and noted that the vulnerability does not work when a user surfs the Net only with Firefox.
    Story for full reading.

And a Link to the advisory and how to fix it manually.
    Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Re: IE and FireFox Fight -Critical-

So what? That doesn't apply to Linux - unless, maybe, if both "IE" and Firefox are run as WINE apps ... :P

Comment

If you surf the web using IE, it serves you right.
      I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

LOL Ur, now why would anybody do that? It was just some 'geek news', not 'nix' specific. We ALL have a WinDO$ machine haunting our lives somewhere, thought it was worth a shar.
        Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Comment

why would one use the sucky sucky IE if he have FireFox installed on his PC? this is madness.

Comment

Originally posted by Xmaster
            this is madness.
            THIS... IS... SPARTA!
            Compaq Presario c727us, 120GB&nbsp; HDD, 2GB DDR2, 1.6GHz, fully working sound, wifi, proprietary buttons, and on board mouse with Kubuntu 8.04 and KDE 4.1

Comment

Wow, I think this might have actually affected me. I'm dual booting XP and Kubuntu, my sound card didn't have a linux driver so I was using XP while waiting on my new sound card to arrive. I installed firefox in XP after using it in kubuntu and liking it, but still used IE occasionally. A couple of days ago I got a bad adware infection, despite never downloading anything suspicious and using virus protection. The good news is my sound card works great now so I never have to use IE or XP again.

Comment

what the hell it IE? and why do people use it :P
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

IE is a ripoff of Mozilla which was developed by M$ because Big Bill feared that Netscape might make money selling software. People use it because it comes with their computer and they don't know how to install software. That's exactly what Big Bill intended.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                    IE is a ripoff of Mozilla which was developed by M$ because Big Bill feared that Netscape might make money selling software. People use it because it comes with their computer and they don't know how to install software. That's exactly what Big Bill intended.
                    you damn right

Comment

I have to keep XP Pro on my machine for business reasons. Sometimes I have to use IE. Darned difficult to run Windows Update without using IE. But that's all I use it for. Of course I kind of like it because it keeps me in business removing malware. I would have very little business at all if no one used IE.

Comment

yea i have also a copy of XP on my machine. i need it for Quark Xpress, as it won't export to a format that i can open w/ any open source program similar to it. yea for some reason windows update don't like when u go there w/ Firefox . there are a few other sites that used to require IE. however you can use IE4LINUX if you have wine its very ez to set up. but i would recomend the use of Firefox over IE on any os.

Comment

There is an extension for FF called "User Agent Switcher" that allows your system to lie about its ID and tell the website it is IE. On some sites, that require IE, this will work but not on all.

Comment

Yep. A company near and dear to me uses MS Business Portal, and the remote access function requires the real deal IE -- some kind of secret handshaking going on there. I've tried fooling it with Konqueror's "Browser ID" function, but it's no go -- it has to be real IE to show the links correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                              Yep. A company near and dear to me uses MS Business Portal, and the remote access function requires the real deal IE -- some kind of secret handshaking going on there. I've tried fooling it with Konqueror's "Browser ID" function, but it's no go -- it has to be real IE to show the links correctly.
                              that could be an activeX plugin. konqueror and other browsers won't support em.

for things like that here is what i do,
                              have a windoze machine set up with remote desktop (if xp pro i use the built in IIS service) so when i need to use things like that i can just rdp over there and do what i need to, i also have my laptop (that i use for my work as a system administrator) doing a duel boot w/ XP installed.mainly for some programs i can't run on linux or w/ wine. and also it has my music folder on it just incase i have to format the linux side(always trying the bleeding edge stuff). and i must say in the past 2 versions of kubuntu it has been much easer to work w/ the NTFS file system.

Comment

Working...
                              X