This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

msoftlinux???

How scary is the recent trend of Microsoft poking it's nose into the world of linux with the Novell deal and now Linspire. I left MS for a reason and the major one was the constant poking into my software. Will we soon be authenticating our o/s. Lets hope not. I wonder if anyone else is concerned? I'd like to see a showdown on the patent infringement issue and get it over with.

I'm loving the linux (Kunbuntu) world!!

Re: msoftlinux

I don't see that happening ever. MS claims of patent infringement is merely FUD and aimed at scaring persons wanting to make the switch and instilling doubt in the shareholder's minds that may cause them to enter cross liscensing deals.

While it's interesting to see how the battle unfolds, even Microsoft has stated clearly that they don't intend to sue mainly because they know what backlash will follow. I have absolutely no worry even if Microsoft (we know that's impossible) goes opensource about them as I don't intend in sitting close to their products.
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

My main problem with it is that I have my own computer company where I build custom PC's and then install Linux on them. When I choose the distributions I check to see if there are any "bad" partnerships with other companies and I say that the distributions are not linked with MS but because of the image on the Linspire site showing Ubuntu and MS next to each other implies that they are partnered with each other.
      I will be honest I have never seen any benefit for Ubuntu only for Linspire and unless the partnership ends then it will make Ubuntu look bad. It is particularly bad for me because I now have to find an other OS that is easy to install and update and which is not linked with MS and having excellent driver support and out of the box compatibility. Well looks like I'm off to Debian until Knoppix has it's installer working properly in it's next release

Comment

microsoft's strategy is just all good "divide et impera".
        that's why we need to stop forking hundreds of distributions if we want things to change.
        my 2cts.
        gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Originally posted by deathshead
          My main problem with it is that I have my own computer company where I build custom PC's and then install Linux on them. When I choose the distributions I check to see if there are any "bad" partnerships with other companies and I say that the distributions are not linked with MS but because of the image on the Linspire site showing Ubuntu and MS next to each other implies that they are partnered with each other.
          I will be honest I have never seen any benefit for Ubuntu only for Linspire and unless the partnership ends then it will make Ubuntu look bad. It is particularly bad for me because I now have to find an other OS that is easy to install and update and which is not linked with MS and having excellent driver support and out of the box compatibility. Well looks like I'm off to Debian until Knoppix has it's installer working properly in it's next release
          While your principle seems to be sound, do you know anything about Ubuntu to back your allegations? Ubuntu has no relationship, deal, whatever name you get to call it with Microsoft. As for Linspire using Ubuntu logo, it's mainly because I believe the new release of Linspire will be based on the Ubuntu base and repositories. There's not been any deal between the two and if you know Mark Shuttleworth well enough, you won't see that happening either.
          Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

You may also want to take a look at this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=16

Comment

Originally posted by malakarer
              Here's link with the solution
              aniston jennifer topless
              Was your intention that of trying to be funny? Even an ant would understand what the topic discussion was all about.

Comment

I am fully aware that Ubuntu has no deals with MS but the image suggests that they do and I have already had some customers asking me about that and I think that Ubuntu should not have any dealings with a distro that has dealings with MS because the work that the Ubuntu community do is then being used by another distro that has dealings, which will put pressure on Ubuntu to do a patient deal with MS and it's not fair on the developers themselves that another company is making money of their hard work. and as for the do I know anything about Ubuntu I do and linux generally since i've been using it since 2001 with libranet and as for the linked with MS comment I meant to say linked with MS through Linspire

Comment

Each man is entitled to his own opinion, however, what you're suggesting is no where close to reality. Ubuntu, Mandriva, RedHat all have stated their stance. However, it must be noted that Microsoft is there to stay and will take much more than wishful thinking to be overthrown. That's not the goal of Linux as well. If the two have to co-exist, they need to find common ground to exist. Just not MS way. I won't stop using Ubuntu/Kubuntu just because Linspire is going to use their base system.

Comment

Originally posted by Princey
                    Originally posted by malakarer
                    Here's link with the solution
                    aniston jennifer topless
                    Even an ant would understand what the topic discussion was all about.
                    debatable . A sole ant couldn't figure it out, but some speculation exists on weather or no ants have a hive-mind. If they do, than mabey.........
                    LINUX. IT'S SO EASY, EVEN A PENGUIN CAN DO IT.

Comment

Working...
                    X