Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite KDE centric distro (Other then Kubuntu)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your favorite KDE centric distro (Other then Kubuntu)?

Foresight has a KDE version in developement. Only has gnome stable right now.
    Looks to be pretty good.

D

Comment

I can say that I have Kubuntu on 4 of my six machines. The other two are still Windows because i do have to deal with it at work. I've tried other Distos, most don't have KDE as a desktop, and still come back to Kubuntu.

Comment

My favorite is by far Xandros. It came with my new desktop from Wal Mart. Everything works
        with not extra work on my part, just run and go.
        My next favorite is Mandrake. It also is easy to use and my old HP laptop just took it and ran.
        I even had it up and running wi-fi on the road in my Truck. That's my job, Over the road Truck Driver.
        I'm having trouble with Kubuntu, but I'll keep trying to get things working.... I love a challenge

Cogito Ergo Sum Using Linux.

Comment

I spent a fair amount of time on Kanotix (ver 2005-04 -- Sid oriented) about a year and a half ago, but didn't make the switch from Win98SE (yes I know) because of a lack of a good 3D CAD at the time (since solved by CollabCAD), some printer problems with CUPS and my Epson Stylus (mainly very slow print speeds), and mainly the fact the a newer stable version than 2005-04 was never released. A split in the developer circle further disrupted progress of this OS (now two os's -- Sidux and Kanotix)

But I did really like it in general -- the cd is super compressed with about 4 gigs of software and a lot of it was good tech stuff as well as full open office, QCAD, wine, just tons of stuff already installed. Easier access to root functions when needed, lots of tools, some specialized scripts etc. It recognized my wifi card immediately (knoppix didn't).

Recently I tried the updated version (non-stable) Kanotix Thorhammer against Kubuntu, but though Kanotix was fuller featured out of the box, I felt the execution and appearance of Kubuntu won easily, as well as the support and regular upgrade path. Just a much more stable and trustworthy feel to the organization and execution. You can add programs to Kubuntu to equal Kanotix -- preinstallation of tons of programs isn't that big a deal. It's mainly useful if you are going to try run it as a live CD -- or want to try out programs before installing them on Kubuntu.

I think the new Kanotix theme is b-ugly, but of course that's no big deal -- you can change it. A recent turnoff also was a visit with a tech question to the Kanotix support IRC site with close to 40 members on-board, no one would even speak to me. Not even a hello. So that firmed up the decision to commit to Kubuntu, and I'm extremely happy I did.

Kanotix would be useful if you are going to try run it as a live CD -- or want to try out programs before installing them on Kubuntu. I have a couple of times used the Kanotix LiveCD for troubleshooting and HD partitioning my installed Kubuntu system, since it has so many tech tools already onboard.

The latest version is reportedly a modified Ubuntu kernel, so it has come around to this end of the Linux spectrum from its original Sid orientation, presumably to take advantage of the stability and regular update path.

Comment

Sorry to bump an old thread!
            I used Slackware on my desktop before I ever came to Kubuntu, but Kubuntu just makes everything so much easier!
            Compaq Presario c727us, 120GB  HDD, 2GB DDR2, 1.6GHz, fully working sound, wifi, proprietary buttons, and on board mouse with Kubuntu 8.04 and KDE 4.1

Comment

I've been running sidux as my second OS since last Christmas. I was skeptical that a "sid" based distribution could be very stable, but it is really very solid. The basic installation takes about 5 minutes -- that's another amazing feature of it. And of course KDE 3.5.9 is a very familiar interface.

Comment

IMO Arch is the best, love the way that it's so vanilla (doesn't apply any extra patches or anything) but openSuse is also great for KDE.
                I really love ubuntu but have to say that Kubuntu seems to be one of the worst KDE distros I've used, much slower than any other and loads of bugs.

Comment

Another vote for Mandriva.

Comment

I have been checking out the new pcBSD distro that comes with KDE4.1.1, looks pretty nice.
                    Going to give it a shot this weekend.
                    Other than that I would say I kind of dug Knoppix and Mandriva. (still love Kunbuntu though )
                    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by gm04030276
                      Slax! its a fantastic little live distro, very small and would be really awesome if you could install it (you can but not officially!)
                      Its relatively small to download, there are several feature packed versions for different needs and best of all, it has a built in root account to log into so you can actually do things as a logged in user and as a superuser should you need to.
                      I also love SLAX, although my "other" vote is going to BackTrack which is KDE and SLAX based, but for what it does no distro does it better (forensics, security and penetration testing).

I've been meaning to try out Slackware proper itself for ages but I've never taken the chance; I should yank out a section of my new 1TB drive and try it there Ditto for mainline Debian, actually.

Knoppix was, for me as well, my first introduction to Linux---and, at the same time, KDE and Debian. I was apt-getting before Ubuntu ever existed I had dabbled a bit in this but one day at the start of a summer (2004?) my main hard drive (at the time I still thought of it as my "C:\" drive) semi-died and I had to swap over the controller card of a different one to back up the data...buuut this left me without room for a Windows install until the HDD came back from Maxtor. And so, for the summer I used Knoppix, and when near the end of summer things were sorted out and it was time to re-join the Windows world . . . oh, what a shock! I instantly missed Linux/KDE, and I ran back as soon as I can, and after diving in first with a newbie attempt at installing Debian (I succeeded but didn't know I had, haha, since it's arcane at first) I went off to Kubuntu where I am now
                      ......although this story probably explains quite a bit of why I'm reluctant about KDE4!

Comment

Working...
                      X