Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite KDE centric distro (Other then Kubuntu)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your favorite KDE centric distro (Other then Kubuntu)?

what are your thoughts?
    Sabayon
    0%
    Oz
    0%
    Knoppix
    0%
    Mepis
    0%
    Sidux
    0%
    PCLinuxOS
    0%
    Fedora Core
    0%
    Slackware
    0%
    Arch
    0%
    OpenSUSE
    0%
    other
    0%

Re: What is your favorite KDE centric distro (Other then Kubuntu)?

MEPIS is my favourite, other than Kubuntu. I have used MEPIS as my main distro since v.3.3 until I discovered Kubuntu Dapper. So I was looking forward to great things from v.6.5.

Unfortunately MEPIS 6.5 does not like my setup any more. It is now very picky about USB hubs, and since I use one to connect my scanner, web cam and memory card reader this is a shame, because neither the MEPIS live CD nor its installed equivalent recognises any of my USB devices. So I have regretfully said au revoir.

Of the rest, Knoppix has to be the most useful: it's the distro that introduced me to Linux; I have used it since v.3.3. it is my recovery disk if all else fails, and I am still amazed at its powers of hardware recognition.

Comment

I had Mepis 3.3.2 loaded on an old box and it worked great, it now has Ubuntu on it. I also have Mepis 6.0 Live/Install. I put this one in my Compaq V5000 laptop and everything works. I prefer it over Ubuntu for a live disc. I can access the windows files with no permission problems. Great for file recovery. Never actually installed it though.
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

mine is, or was, mandriva, but recently i moved to debian with gnome. until now i only used kde, most of the time with kubuntu. how can pclinuxos be on the list and mandriva isn't?

Comment

For me the only KDE distros worth using are Kubuntu, Mepis and PCLinuxOS, with Debian right up there even if it provides both Gnome and KDE and is not "centric" but gives a choice. All the others just seem to have some or the other lack, or niggle, or glitch that just frustrates the daylights out of me. OS's should just work...

Comment

Personally, I have Kubuntu on 4 computers, a server and a laptop with Dapper and two desktops with Feisty. The only other Linux distro I use is Knoppix (to troubleshoot windoze machines).

Comment

Again I do love Mandriva, and can't understand why it's not on the list.

Has great configuration tools, sane defaults,...

I feel that it is somewhat lagging on package management, but I still love the flexibility fo the command line urpmi.

Javier.

Comment

Not much experience in it, but Slackware is second on my list after kubuntu.

Comment

I tried Xandros Professional before settling with Kubuntu and Ubuntu.

Comment

I would say Debian; but it's Gnome-based unless you get this peculiar (unreliable) version, or install KDE separately.

However, I would say knoppix is among my top favorite distributions of all time, kde-based or not, because as a PC tech, i run into unknown systems ALL the time. There's nothing more pitiful than a windows machine with an "unknown multimedia device" installed. Knoppix can (almost) always tell me EXACTLY what sound card i'm dealing with. A lot can be said for the /proc filesystem.

Frankly, I work with more windows machines than linux (yuck. I hate windows. But it's a fact that it's out there.). Even if I never used linux in my LIFE for anything else, i'd keep a few knoppix discs around just to find out about hardware in the systems i'm working on.

Comment

Other: LinuxMint version Bianca-KDE.

Comment

I voted Arch but I like Pardus.
                        Love; joy; peace; patience; kindness; goodness; faithfulness; gentleness; self control

Comment

Slax! its a fantastic little live distro, very small and would be really awesome if you could install it (you can but not officially!)
                          Its relatively small to download, there are several feature packed versions for different needs and best of all, it has a built in root account to log into so you can actually do things as a logged in user and as a superuser should you need to.

Comment

I originally was with Mandriva, but it drove me insane with all the bugs and stuff. If you get past the bugs its actually quite a nice distro. :P

I really like Slackware. The original and the best.

Comment

Mandriva. I used Red Hat 9 w/ KDE, Slackware and Knoppix and I stuck with Mandriva until i got going with Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                              X