24-04 to 24.10 upgrade fails - wvdial 1.61-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24-04 to 24.10 upgrade fails - wvdial 1.61-8

Uograding from to 24.10 fails - it hangs at 79% at the step "setting up wvdial 1.61-8". Hours later I resortred to a reset and had to restore my system using a USB stick and Timeshift (all hail the makers of Timeshift). Tried twice with the same results.

Thoughs on how to move forward? If I just opt to do a fresh install and copy my /home directory, how much configuration will I lose?

Relative newb to Linux, so please talk down to me.

Thank you!

We need someone to explain "why we need to upgrade ubuntu 24.04 to 24.10"?
    I did the same procedure in the order that I received the flags.

The upgrade flag to upgrade ubuntu appeared first this morning. I am in the habit of updating or upgrading as soon as I see a flag. The upgrade procedure started and all seemed fine (except for the fact that it did not require rebooting to start as kubuntu usually does).

While the ubuntu upgrade was running, a kubuntu update flag appeared. Since the other one was running I assumed the kubuntu update was to run after the other completed.

The ubuntu upgrade ran as described by user pjmorley. It hung at about the 79% point as he indicated.

I went to lunch and returned an hour later to find it at the same exact point. In frustration, I got out my kubuntu .iso file and reinstalled. I expected to lose a lot of stuff, but I got a kubuntu system back. And since I had a separated /home I didn't lose everything. I am using a dual boot with windows 11.

What is going on with this sloppy upgrade/ update procedure?

Comment

Originally posted by dfgrbac View Post

What is going on with this sloppy upgrade/ update procedure?
      In my case I tried to update that package manually and discovered it was blocked by a locked config file, killing the process with the file lock allowed wvdial to update, and then the 20.04 -> 20.10 update went fine.

Well, almost... so many things no longer worked (incl. all apps in Bottles) that I reverted to 24.04!

Comment

So, to those experts in the know, is it safe to go ahead and click on that ubuntu upgrade to 24.10?? I have had enough problems with screens going blank, and Brave being block from sites, etc.

With my reinstall of Kubuntu, I am back to Firefox and I won't reinstall Brave for now. The upgrade icon sits there in the panel.

Comment

Working...
        X