Wayland corrupting GTK apps on arm64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Wayland corrupting GTK apps on arm64

Raspberrypi 4/4GB + SSD. Upgrading from 24.04 arm64 server + Kubuntu-Desktop to 24.10. Upgrade appeared to be successful and KDE apps worked as expected. However many third party apps did not. Specifucally Vivaldi, Synaptic, GIMP, LibreOffice boot screen. I assume many more using GTK.

All exhibited panel corruption. White with horizontal lines. This made all but LibreOffice unusable. Searches pointed to the change from X11 to Wayland. Changed back to X11 in System Settings and all apps tested resumed normal behaviour.

Given that I can't find any other reports I assume it may be specific to arm64 architecture or the original installation method left some Wayland dependencies missing.

No, more like there isn't much testing of Plasma on Ubuntu on arm64. Plus I wager even less Wayland/usage/support for the Pi's graphics . Plasma IS more grahpics heavy.

You also might look at deboootstrap as opposed to Ubuntu server, and leave off all the extra stuff. I found using Ubuntu server sapped more resources on low powered Arm devices than one would expect.

Comment

Working...
    X