Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBus should be called from the desktop session in Wayland

Hello

I've upgraded my Kubuntu 24.04 to 24.10. Everytime I log in to my dekstop (it is wayland by default) I get the following message in my notification area:

IBus should be called from the desktop session in Wayland. For KDE, you can launch 'systemsettings5' utility and go to "Input Devices" -> "Virtual Keyboard" section and select "IBus Wayland" icon and click "Apply" button to configure IBus in Wayland. For other desktop sessions, you can copy the 'Exec=' line in org.freedesktop.IBus.Panel.Wayland.Gtk3.desktop file to a configuration file of the session. Please refer each document about the "Wayland input method" configuration. Before you configure the "Wayland input method", you should make sure that QT_IM_MODULE and GTK_IM_MODULE environment variables are unset in the desktop session.

The mentioned environment variables are set by default to these values:
    $ echo $QT_IM_MODULE
    ibus
    $ echo $GTK_IM_MODULE
    ibus

​There are some solutions on the Internet about how to solve it but they are sometimes few years old. I don't want to break my fresh-upgraded 24.10 installation so the question: is there any up-to-date document describing how to get rid of that notification?

P.S. even the notification text is somehow misleading: there is no systemsettings5, there is only systemsettings command. In the System Settings there is no "Input devices" category, there are "Mouse & Touchpad" and "Keyboard".

Thank you in advance for hints

Welcome to KFN.

In 24.04, were you using/switching to Japanese, Chinese or Korean (CJK)?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No.

I installed English version. I only changed some settings to be Polish, like number format, time format, currency and measurements (to use Metric system). That's it. Those settings were set by me in 24.04. After the upgrade to 24.10 I started getting mentioned IBus notification.

EDIT: I found that the Virtual keyboard is now in System Settings -> Keyboard -> Virtual Keyboard. I've just changed it from "None" to "IBus Wayland". After loggin out and logging in the notification message changed to:
      Please unset QT_IM_MODULE and GTK_IM_MODULE environment variables and 'ibus-daemon --panel disable' should be executed as a child process of ibus-ui-gtk3 component.

​Probably I could unset QT_IM_MODULE and GTK_IM_MODULE​ in my ~/.profile script but I would like to understand first why those environment variables are set and by which script.

What would be the correct way to unset them? Once it is done should I just run "
      'ibus-daemon --panel disable​" in the console as the last step?

Comment

Working...
      X