Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rename printers

I am using Kubuntu 24.04
    How can I rename printers? Using the 'printers'-menu i can not rename registered printers. The same applies if I try it using the CUPS menue. How can I permanently change the name of a printer?

I managed to change the name of one of the printers. It is a Canon Pixma MX725. I was able to rename it using the 'system-config-printer' command. The second printer, an HP Laserjet, could not be renamed. The printer could be renamed initially using 'system-config-printer', but then changed back to the original name. The printer is registered online. I need to do some more research here.

Comment

As my printer-problem posts around here indicate, I am not a printer expert.
      But I have encountered the issue you have here.
      I did NOT research deeper, but got the idea that to use a new name on an existing printer,
      it seemed that I had to re-create the printer configuration for that printer using the new name; then delete the old printer.
      IOW, create a new printer and delete the old one (same physical printer device).
      In some cases, that could by risky -- sometimes when you get it configured just right, you may be gun-shy about messing with it.
      It would be the same configuration details, of course, just a new name.
      I think I did this in CUPS ...
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thank You for Your information.
        I did this, i. e. created the a new printer with a new name for the Laserjet. It worked, but then reappeared the former printer name in addition to the newly created printer name. I had two names for the same printer in the local network.

Comment

I had two names for the same printer in the local network.
          Yes ... I know! Unfortunately, it happens. Especially so in that CUPS page, but also in K > Settings > printers.
          I just try to delete them (but they may reappear).
          Also, I mark one entry as the Default printer, which helps me spot it when I use the printer settings menus.
          Sometimes one physical printer may appear twice -- once with certain configurations and again with another set of configurations.
          I don't know the ultimate solution.
          BTW, at the present time, I * do * have things set "right" -- no duplicate entries. And that might be because of luck?
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

As to 'multiple' printers showing. I think this is the case if the actual printer is MF (Multi Function); printer, scanner, fax. One printer will show for Printing, another for the Scanner/Fax.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think I have the solution. I have installed the same printer using two different methods. One is with Hplip. I can change the name of the printer created with this method. Secondly, the printer was installed by CUPS. CUPS scans the network printers and the local printers in the background. If I delete the printer created in this way, CUPS immediately recreates it. I hope I am right with my assumptions. If I am wrong, please correct me and let me know

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)​

Comment

CUPS scans the network printers and the local printers in the background. If I delete the printer created in this way, CUPS immediately recreates it.
                I encountered exactly the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                X