Two apps keep freezing/crashing even after upgrade to 24.04.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two apps keep freezing/crashing even after upgrade to 24.04.1

When I was running 22.04 on my main laptop, Signal would crash after exchanging 2 or 3 messages in a conversation.
    Evolution mail would freeze for a minute or so on launch, then unfreeze and all would be good after that.

It started after one of the regular updates, and I chalked it up to a possible 22.04 bug or conflict somewhere.
    After upgrading to 24.04.1 today, those issues still exist.

I'd like to avoid a clean reinstall (which may or may not fix it), so if anyone has any insight about how to fix this, I'd appreciate it.

kubuntu getting like m.s. windows

Comment

If these are happening on different distro releases, I'd say it might well be bugs in the applications as opposed to the OS.
      Also, consolidating the application source - flatpaks and snaps, for example likely would behave the same between releases, as their versions will be identical between Jammy and Noble, as well as their dependencies.

Evolution may just be searching or doing a startup task, or wants some Gnome-y bit since it is a Gnome-based application. You might run it from the terminal and see what it spits out.
      If it is a Snap application, it may just be decompressing and 'mounting' things - a known thing and part of their nature, but this process has been greatly reduced in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        If these are happening on different distro releases, I'd say it might well be bugs in the applications as opposed to the OS...
        Makes sense, though I failed (forgot) to mention that Signal and Evolution have never done this on my other laptop, which has had 24.04 all all along.
        That's the part that baffles me. Perhaps a hardware issue on the misbehaving laptop? I dunno. This one is above my pay grade.

Comment

Check logs for according applications will bring more details.

Comment

/var/log helps when tracking down issues

Comment

Originally posted by Joel64 View Post

Makes sense, though I failed (forgot) to mention that Signal and Evolution have never done this on my other laptop, which has had 24.04 all all along.
              That's the part that baffles me. Perhaps a hardware issue on the misbehaving laptop? I dunno. This one is above my pay grade.
              Bugs are funny animals like that.

Comment

iverall is 24.04.1LTS 64 bit stable after install i have 1 tb ssd and 4 gig of memory

Comment

Originally posted by spirithawk View Post
                  iverall is 24.04.1LTS 64 bit stable after install i have 1 tb ssd and 4 gig of memory
                  Yes, it is stable. I only had trouble with Signal and Evolution, after upgrading from the upgrade prompt. I decided to to a clean reinstall and everything works perfectly now.

Comment

Working...
                  X