Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Konqueror becomes unusable when I set another browser as the default for html files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Konqueror becomes unusable when I set another browser as the default for html files

Hello,

In my Kubuntu 24.04 installation, I use multiple web browsers, including MS Edge (default), Firefox, and konqueror. Konqueror used to work just fine. However, I wanted MS Edge to open html files by default, so I went and did that in the plasma settings -> File associations. I set text/html to use Microsoft edge in the preference order.

For some reason, Konqueror is now completely unusable when I start it. When the window appears, the URL bar is greyed out, and I get a dialog with the following error:
    Error - KIOExec
    Unable to create KIO worker. Unknown protocol 'konq'
    This dialog appears around 3 times. I could not do anything with the web browser afterwards. Everything is grayed out, I can't open a new tab or anything.

Setting the default application for text/html back to konqueror fixes the problem.

Something I noticed is that when the default application is set to MS Edge, and then I start Konqueror.. the konqueror logo starts bouncing under my cursor, but soon after, it changes to the MS Edge browser. It seems to me that Konqueror internally wants to display a webpage with teh default browser, so somehow it tries to launch edge, but because edge is not konqueror, it fails. But this is just speculation, I don't really know what's happening.

Is there any way I can keep the default HTML file association as Microsoft Edge, while still being able to use konqueror for web browsing?

Note: I realize konqueror is a semi-dead browser, but the reason I use it is to do a workaround with getting Dolphin to login to Sharepoint/Onedrive via WebDAV If you login to sharepoint/onedrive with konqueror, then Dolphin will be able to browse the files there with WebDAV. This is the only reason I use konqueror, and will not work with any other browser.
Working...
X