Good offline dictionary recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good offline dictionary recommendation

I sometimes write in my spare time (currently working on my first novel). Where I live, we suffer from power outages. We have one power company in area and they call the interruptions "capacity management". In a nutshell, they are experiencing generating power issues and as such, has to load balance the entire country. Whilst I'm looking towards solar down the road, my situation is that sometimes, even if I have power, I lose internet as the area where our internet supply comes from is without power. I currently use "Artha" as my offline dictionary and whilst it works well, I miss the "pronunciation" aspect which is absent. So, any recommendations for offline dictionary? It must have the following features:
    • key to pronunciation
    • thesaurus (both antonyms and synonyms)
    • pronunciation samples (not a must but would be a plus)
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

The best outcome here would be if someone has personal use of such to recommend.
    I don't, as I use on-line; and even have some older hard-copy dictionaries! Also, I can use my cell phone (with mobile data turned on in case my WiFi is off).
    But for fun, I googled, "Good offline dictionary" and 'Good offline dictionary with Thesaurus,' and 'w/pronunciation.'
    Lots of interesting hits, including Merriam-Webster, for example, and some I never heard of, like
    ("Dict Box Pro is a complete multilingual dictionary and translator. Works on and offline and supports 30 languages. Easy and fast to use, includes also an offline pronunciation tool.").
    It takes awhile to sort through all the options, though.
    Good luck!
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks, I did spend a few hours reading through the searches on Google and on Ask Ubuntu website. Lots of choices but with spotty results (from those who tried). That's why I asked in here, hoping someone would have walked that road before me. The closest I see is to use an app that interfaces with 'dictd' but that involves a lot of hassle. I was looking for a simpler approach like using an app and downloading offline database.
      Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

Working...
      X