WINE apps and Firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] WINE apps and Firewall

I do know how to allow or block a Linux app in the firewall via command line. My question though is in relation to applications installed via WINE. Is the process similar for example?
    Code:
    sudo ufw allow/deny application.exe
    There are a few Windows games I play via WINE that are "free" albeit with a price tag of annoying ads popups. They're not multiplayer games so there's no reason to be dialing out. I know I can set the firewall to restrict all apps except those I allow. Of course, that would cost me much more time specifying firewall rules and I run the risk of accidentally blocking a port I wasn't supposed to. (If it was a server, I wouldn't mind as that's how I configure servers). But for a standalone desktop, I don't find the hassle necessary. Any ideas?
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Ufw doesn't block applications , at least not directly. Just ports and services.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/4507...r-each-program.

Firejail may be the best and most popular choice

Opensnitch may be another
    https://github.com/evilsocket/opensnitch

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Ufw doesn't block applications , at least not directly. Just ports and services.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/4507...r-each-program.

Firejail may be the best and most popular choice

Opensnitch may be another
      https://github.com/evilsocket/opensnitch
      Thanks Claydoh. I think opensnitch looks like the best alternative as I don't want block WINE altogether, just a few annoying games that I love and hate at the same time.
      Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

Originally posted by Princey View Post

Thanks Claydoh. I think opensnitch looks like the best alternative as I don't want block WINE altogether, just a few annoying games that I love and hate at the same time.
        Just be aware that executables for wine won't be very obvious, and that for the purposes of a firewall, you might need to block wine. I have no idea, though.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

Just be aware that executables for wine won't be very obvious, and that for the purposes of a firewall, you might need to block wine. I have no idea, though.
          So far, they do show up under processes if I open system monitor. Are you saying that it's not enough to block such executables?

Comment

I have no idea. I'll assume that the executables run, but no I'm idea if wine's libraries affect anything, in terms of networking or access.
            Last edited by claydoh; Jul 28, 2024, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X