Suspend not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspend not working

Hi, I have a relatively new install of kubuntu 24.04 on a dell xps 13 9340 with 32 gigs of ram. The machine is a dual boot with Windows 11. I am trying to get suspend to work.

I started by following the instructions on this page
    file:///run/user/1000/doc/7b548c80/https:%E2%81%84%E2%81%84ubuntuhandbook.org%E2%81%8 4index.php%E2%81%842021%E2%81%8408%E2%81%84enable-hibernate-ubuntu-21-10%E2%81%84

I diabled my swap file and booted into windows. I shrunk my main windows partition by 33gigs and then rebooted into kubuntu
    I then used gparted to make a new partition in the empty space I created and formatted it as linux-swap

I enabled the new swap partition using swapon and created the entry in /etc/fstabs and rebooted. I think the swap is right now.

swapon --show
    NAME TYPE SIZE USED PRIO
    /dev/nvme0n1p8 partition 32.2G 0B -2

​I have made sure that secure boot is turned off

I modified /etc/default/grub to included the new content as instructed
    resume=/dev/nvme0n1p8
    and then I upadate grub

But when I run
    sudo systemctl hibernate

The machine seems to start to go into hibernation mode. The screen blanks, but a few seconds later the screen wakes up again. While the screen was off, the keyboard backlight remains on. When the screen returns, the mouse and keyboard do not respond for ~10-15 seconds and then it is awake and running.

Not sure where to go next.

btw, I have also followed these instructions to add hibernate to the menu of kde.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Kubuntu/com...404/?rdt=59532

So, are you looking for suspend (to ram) or hibernate (to disk)?

Assuming the second
    You did do Step One, and tested that it actually works or (in your case) not.

Originally posted by wesleytk View Post
    But when I run
    sudo systemctl hibernate

The machine seems to start to go into hibernation mode. The screen blanks, but a few seconds later the screen wakes up again. While the screen was off, the keyboard backlight remains on. When the screen returns, the mouse and keyboard do not respond for ~10-15 seconds and then it is awake and running.
    That likely means that your system isn't well supported for hibernation, the main reason why Ubuntu doesn't enable it by default, and hasn't for many years.
    The only things you can do are to make sure your BIOS is up to date, and search for others with your exact same system (which you have not mentioned, btw) who have tried getting it to work.
    Last edited by claydoh; Jul 26, 2024, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      So, are you looking for suspend (to ram) or hibernate (to disk)?

Assuming the second
      You did do Step One, and tested that it actually works or (in your case) not.

That likely means that your system isn't well supported for hibernation, the main reason why Ubuntu doesn't enable it by default, and hasn't for many years.
      The only things you can do are to make sure your BIOS is up to date, and search for others with your exact same system (which you have not mentioned, btw) who have tried getting it to work.
      Yes, I am trying to hibernate

I tried the first step, it does the behavior as mentiond in the first post.

Bios is up to date
      Actually, I did mention the exact system. Dell XPS 13 9340 with 32gigs of ram. Unless you need something more specific

Comment

Working...
      X