Browser advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browser advice needed

Since switching to Linux, I also started using the Chromium browser instead of Google Chrome. A recent Chromium update, however, borked it and I had to uninstall/reinstall it.
    This meant I had to restore my bookmarks and extensions. Since Chromium doesn't have a sync option, this is a process I'd rather not have to repeat now & then (should it go south again).

So... if I go back to Google Chrome, is it really so invasive that it would be a bad idea?
    I do still use Gmail out of necessity, so maybe avoiding Chrome is basically pointless anyway?
    Last edited by Joel64; Jul 08, 2024, 10:43 AM. Reason: Added a missing word.

Invasiveness in a browser, is in my opinion, over-hyped fear mongering, stoked by tin-hat wearing conspiracy theorists. Use what works for you. My
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Joel64 View Post
      Since Chromium doesn't have a sync option, this is a process I'd rather not have to repeat now & then (should it go south again).

So... if I go back to Google Chrome, is it really so invasive that it would be a bad idea?
      I do still use Gmail out of necessity, so maybe avoiding Chrome is basically pointless anyway?
      Agree on the latter point and what Snowhog said; Brave is a chromium browser and does have sync, so that might be an option - Firefox also has sync.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel64 View Post
        This meant I had to restore my bookmarks and extensions. Since Chromium doesn't have a sync option, this is a process I'd rather not have to repeat now & then (should it go south again).
        This might be helpful: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...er-4175676610/
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I routinely use FF and at times Chrome (not Chromium). They're both fine.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Vivaldi also has some nice features. I use Brave for work and Vivaldi for personal use.

Please Read Me

Comment

I use Pale Moon, a FF clone. Avoid all things Google to protect my privacy. YMMV.

TWP
              Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I also use Vivaldi, does what I want and works well in linux.
                Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

If Chromium browser has worked for you maybe you should try the Thorium browser? It works well for me and it syncs the bookmarks.

Comment

Opera is also Chromium based and has a sync function. Been using it as my main browser with FF as my backup.
                    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input. I do use Vivaldi and Firefox as well. Each browser is for a specific purpose. Not a fan of Brave nor Opera for various reasons, and Pale Moon just doesn't suit my needs.

On my 22.04 machine I've replaced Chromium with SRWare Iron, which seems to be a good browser. I have to use Google sync, but it's apparent that there's really no way to avoid Google completely in my lines of work.

Originally posted by JeffRedd View Post
                      If Chromium browser has worked for you maybe you should try the Thorium browser? It works well for me and it syncs the bookmarks.
                      Thanks for that, I'm gonna give it a shot,

Comment

Working...
                      X