No announcement yet.

Opening email links from thunderbird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Opening email links from thunderbird?

Upgraded from 23.10 to 24.04, so now have the "benefit" of thunderbird in snap form. The problem is that clicking on links in emails no longer opens them in a web browser (as worked perfectly fine previously). Even right-clicking and selection open in browser doesn't work. Default browser is set to google chrome in the kde system settings.

Is this a "feature" of the thunderbird snap, or has something else got messed up during the upgrade?

Thanks!
    Last edited by bendy; Jun 22, 2024, 02:24 AM.

You could try if this also happens with the "traditional" Thunderbird.

See the "bonus section" of Essential and strongly recommended things to do directly after a Kubuntu 24.04 LTS installation.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I have also now discovered that clicking on email attachments, e.g. pdf files, doesn't work either. They fail to open in the pdf viewer......

Comment

Belated follow-up. I uninstalled the thunderbird snap and installed the deb from the mozilla team ppa. Problem solved. Did the same for firefox while I was at it.

Somewhat resented having to mess around like this to restore basic functionality. This was actually on my wife's PC - I switched to Manjaro on my own PC a couple of years ago as a 'snap protest' and haven't regretted it despite Manjaro being higher maintenance.

Comment

I have the same problem, and even worse one on Ubuntu server + KDE plasma (not Kubuntu actually). I have to say I upgraded my system from 20.04 -> 22.04 (was working) -> 24.04 (ceased workind). Snap installation of Thunderbird was unable to find saved messages on disk because as far as I understood it's able to load messages only somewhere from home directory. Then I removed it and installed deb version from apt, and it found messages, but clicking on links is not working. If anyone solved this, please tell.

Comment

So the problem was that Thunderbird cannot find Snap installation of Firefox and I had to tell it for http and https protocols to open /snap/bin/firefox

Comment

Working...
            X