Oracle Virtual Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ABANDONED] Oracle Virtual Box

I'm trying to install OVB, but the installation program tells me these two things:

Depends: libvpx7 (>= 1.10.0) but it is not installable
    Recommends: libsdl-ttf2.0-0 but it is not installed

​apt doesn't know anything about libvpx7. Is there a known safe source from which to get it? Thanks.

Where are you trying to install VBox from and how? For Kubuntu I would generally recommend to use the version from the *Ubuntu repositories…
    At least the version directly from virtualbox.org does not officially support *Ubuntu 24.04 LTS yet.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 24, 2024, 09:28 AM. Reason: typo
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

How are you trying to install this, exactly?
      I will assume by downloading the deb for a previous Ubuntu release? That won't work, as there are library version differences between releases, as you are seeing from your error. They do have packages for Noble, just not listed on that page.

The better way to install this is to follow the instructions specific to Debian based distros: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads this will add it to your repo lists, so you will get the version made for 24.04, which will then be updated with the rest of your system.
      HOWEVER, this page is a bit outdated now, for Ubuntu 24.04. Easily dealt with, but there are better and more descriptive instructions that account for the difference in file locations HERE, as well as a bunch of other places.
      Last edited by claydoh; May 24, 2024, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Thank you both. I'll see how I can mess this up. (That's my expertise; please don't take it away from me.)

Comment

Well, you could simply use Discover to install it from the *Ubuntu repos - not much to mess up then…
          It will be 7.0.16 atm - but sooner or later the version from the *Ubuntu repos will always get updated. And it just works.
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Ah, my dear Schwarzer, how you underestimate me!

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
              Ah, my dear Schwarzer, how you underestimate me!
              Ya, but if the stock ones get stuffed, it isn't your fault.

Thank you both. I'll see how I can mess this up. (That's my expertise; please don't take it away from me.)
              How do you think most of us know the things that we do?

Comment

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough."
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog, I love it! Now you're talkin' my language.

On another front, I have installed Virtual Box, but I need to convert my VMware vdmk file to ovf to use VB. ovftool is supposed to be available from the Broadcom website, but I find that site impossible to navigate. Whether I'm logged in or not, it will not permit the download. It's actually one of the most frustrating sites I've ever encountered. So is there another trustworthy (an undeserved compliment to Broadcom) site from which to get ovftool?

Comment

https://developer.broadcom.com/tools...ovf-tool/4.6.2

Comment

I need to convert my VMware vdmk file to ovf to use VB
                      That shouldn't be necessary, as according to VirtualBox documentation:
                      Oracle VM VirtualBox supports the following types of disk image files:
                      • VDI. Normally, Oracle VM VirtualBox uses its own container format for guest hard disks. This is called a Virtual Disk Image (VDI) file. This format is used when you create a new virtual machine with a new disk.
                      • VMDK. Oracle VM VirtualBox also fully supports the popular and open VMDK container format that is used by many other virtualization products, such as VMware.
                      • VHD. Oracle VM VirtualBox also fully supports the VHD format used by Microsoft.
                      • HDD. Image files of Parallels version 2 (HDD format) are also supported.

So when setting up your VM, select the .vmdk file.

Comment

Claydoh, I had found the site, but it will not allow the download even after I've logged in. I thought perhaps the developer section required a separate account from the main Broadcom account, but when I tried to set that up, it said I was already a user and still would not allow me to download anything.

Snowhog, I tried importing the .vmdk file in VB, but when I drill down to the proper location for the import, VB shows only a .vmdk.lck file. I tried typing in the file name of the vmdk, The version of VB that Discovery installed cannot read vmdk files; hence the need for the ovftool. (Am I trying hard enough now?)

Comment

Don Check your email. I sent you a Google Drive link to the 64-bit Open Virtualization Format (OVF) Tool I downloaded for you.

Comment

Thanks, Snowhog. I have the tool. If my source file is Windows10-c12.vmdk, what should my target be? I tried the stem with .ovf, but got "Error: Failed to open OVF descriptor. Completed with errors." Then I searched that error message but did not understand what I found. If I can get my vmdk file to ovf format, then I think I'm home free (plus tax).

Comment

Don What version of VMWare do you have? The OVF tool needs to be matched/compatible with the VMWare version. Maybe I downloaded a 'newer' version.

Comment

Working...
                              X