Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 24.04 no updates

Hello there,

I have installed Kubuntu 24.04 since ~15 days and I am worry that I see only very few updates (and coming only from mozillateam or kicad etc... ppa since the installation)...
    Nothing from kubuntu or ubuntu ppa or snap.

And I ask myself if this is normal or not ?

I use Thunderbird and Firefox from mozillateam and have made some modifications to apt configurations files :

1_ Add a "mozilla_thunderbird" file to preference.d with

Package: thunderbird*
    Pin: release o=LP-PPA-mozillateam
    Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: firefox*
    Pin: release o=LP-PPA-mozillateam
    Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: thunderbird*
    Pin: version 2:1snap*
    Pin-Priority: -1

Package: firefox*
    Pin: version 1:1snap*
    Pin-Priority: -1

2_ Add a "51unattended_upgrades_thunderbird" file into apt.conf.d with

Unattended-Upgrade::Allowed-Origins:: "LP-PPA-mozillateam:${distro_codename}";

I dont see any error running "apt-get update" or "apt-get upgrade".

Is my update system broken ?

Thanks for any help and advices.
    Regards.
    Philippe

PS : during apt-get update I see a warning about weak key algorithm for mozillateam...
    Last edited by Wawa.Voun; May 20, 2024, 12:54 PM.

Originally posted by Wawa.Voun View Post
    I dont see any error running "apt-get update" or "apt-get upgrade".
    Try sudo apt full-upgrade just to be sure, particularly if you use any PPAs outside of Mozilla.

There might not be many updates at the moment.
    Heck, I use KDE neon (22.04 base and rolling Plasma et all), plus a fair number of added repos, and I have not seen many updates outside of Chrome and Firefox. It is not unusual.

Comment

This warning about the key algorithm won't prevent any updates. It is just that: a warning or a note.
      • sudo snap refresh && sudo systemctl daemon-reload (this updates the Snaps if you have not blocked them)
      • flatpak update (this updates the Flatpaks if you have Flatpak enabled for 24.04 LTS)
      • sudo apt update && apt list --upgradable (this updates the package informations and lists any available updates except Snaps and Flatpaks​)​
      • sudo apt full-upgrade (this updates everthing for an *Ubuntu system except Snaps and Flatpaks - run sudo apt update before)
      If there is nothing to update, there is nothing to update…
      ​This is *Ubuntu LTS and not Arch or openSUSE Tumbleweed.

PS:
      Better don't run apt upgrade if you have additional PPAs and third-party repositories enabled - this only works properly for updating Debian stable.
      On *Ubuntu system with additional PPAs and third-party repositories enabled always run apt full-upgrade.
      I would also suggest to better run it in any other *Ubuntu-based system (like Linux Mint or Zorin OS) and it will not hurt to run apt full-upgrade instead of apt upgrade in standard *Ubuntu LTS systems as it depends on your individual installation if apt upgrade always works.
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 20, 2024, 03:04 PM. Reason: addition
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
        Don't run apt upgrade - this only works properly for updating Debian stable.
        Actually, this isn't the case these days, with the move away from apt-get to apt, since Ubuntu and it's siblings won't offer updates that require something's removal in order to be installed, something that happens a LOT in something like KDE neon, or using the kubuntu-backports PPA. Anything with a LOT of potentially fast-moving parts or very big changes.
        (The usage of plain upgrade in KDE neon back in 2016 was breaking things there, and it is the reason thery decided to ....promote the crappy pkcon command. i originally though it waas from stray Debian users not familiar with Ubuntu, but I was mistaken -- it was normal *buntu and mint users, doing things the correct way, for a normal distro, actually)

But, full-upgrade doesn't hurt anything in a regular *buntu. I wish this hadn't changed, just for consistency and simplicity's sake.
        I still suggest full-upgrade, since you don't know what someone's system may have.
        But a normal stock or mostly stock install , plain upgrade is fine.

https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/package-management
        https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...-get-apt-cache
        https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu...mmand-examples
        And of course I can't find actual source I was looking for...
        Last edited by claydoh; May 20, 2024, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I rephrased the PS in the post above a bit.
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 20, 2024, 03:04 PM.
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            And of course I can't find actual source I was looking for...
            Your 'foo' is 'foobar'?
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

FWIW on 23.10 there haven't been many APT updates recently, just a new kernel on the 14th.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Your 'foo' is 'foobar'?
                I forgot which foo to foo with. or maybe it is gone?

Comment

Working...
                X