Thunderbird won't send attachments located other than /home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderbird won't send attachments located other than /home

I have a separate 2TB hard drive that I use for all of my Dropbox files. I simply create simlinks to the various documents/pictures/music/video directories on that Dropbox folder. It's useful for when I do a Kubuntu fresh install, I simply point dropbox to that hard drive instead of having to download 1.6TB of data each time.

Since the 24.04 fresh install, I've noticed that when I send an email with an attachment located on that dropbox drive, it won't send.

If I open up dolphin and drag the file over, I get the error message "Sending of the message failed. There was an error attaching XXXXX.file Please check that you have access to the file."

However if I click the attach button and then add the file, no matter the location, it attaches and sends it.

Obviously the work around is just use the attach button and press on. However I'm curious if it's something I can tweak, since I didn't see this happen in 22.04.

Separate question - What's the difference between the snap version of Firefox/Thunderbird and the traditional install of apt-get of Firefox/Thunderbird? Outside of this minor attachment issue, I haven't had any problems with the snap versions.

Your problem has probably to do with an AppArmor rule for the Thunderbird Snap or the general (not optimal) integration of Snaps in desktop environments.

By the way: in Kubuntu 24.04 LTS apt install thunderbird will install a "fake" package from the *Ubuntu repos that will then install the Thunderbird Snap instead. Sneaky.
    So will apt install firefox.

You can e.g. use the install traditional Thunderbird script to install the Thunderbird .tar from Mozilla.org to /opt - additionally to or instead of the Snap.
    Also see the "bonus" section of Essential and strongly recommended things to do directly after a Kubuntu 24.04 LTS installation.

The differences between the Firefox/Thunderbird Snap and the "traditional" Firefox/Thunderbird are roughly the same as between all Snaps and all "traditional" packages installed by e.g. apt.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 16, 2024, 11:13 AM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
    X