On Using Snap Packages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Using Snap Packages?

Snap was first introduced into the ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Being now Kubuntu 24.04 LTS, ie 8 years of development, one would think that the teething bugs in snap, would have been well and truly fixed by now.

I notice on this forum that many are still not wanting to use snap packages. Therefore extra effort has to be used for installing deb packages without snap.

I used to religiously remove snap packages, but now I do not bother and use Synaptic or the command line to install. For example I now have as the snap packages; Thunderbird, Chromium and Firefox. The first two I use extensively without problems. Firefox is useful for all my Chromium bookmarks.

So I am very happy with my installed snap packages and my system is working very well.​

Yeah, the annual Snap discussion!

Perhaps I will chime in tomorrow when I am at home again…
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

It's more of a religious or political thing, mostly.
      Mostly.

All are accepted here

Comment

Mostly.
        And of course all opinions and preferences (and beliefs) are accepted here! To each their own.
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 08, 2024, 03:54 PM.
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I'll post my religious take.
          Snap, Flatpak or any other container are abscesses in an otherwise balanced and elegant organism.
          KISS .

Comment

Originally posted by Montmorency View Post
            in an otherwise balanced and elegant organism.
            <<Snerk>>
            You might be surprised at some of the "hackery" used in software packaging

I found Fedora Kinoite ( Fedora KDE, mostly flatpak-focused, and a so-called "immutable" system) to be very balanced and (mostly) elegant. But I would definitely not use it on my home tinkerbox/gaming/etc PC.
            On my Chromebook, I might convert it from a normal Fedora KDE to Kinoite before I travel.

Originally posted by Montmorency View Post
            KISS .
            <<Double snerkity snerk>>

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240509_101513.png
Views:	210
Size:	654.8 KB
ID:	679062 VS Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240509_101115.png
Views:	208
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	679063
            Seemples

Of course definitions for all these can differ from person to person.
            Plus I am knee-jerk contrarian and anti-fundamentalist

Comment

I have no snaps, no flatpaks. I have had some appimages in the past, but not now. I do have a couple of PPAs, but nothing willy-nilly. I've lived through RPM and Yum dependency hell. The apt packaging may not be perfection, but it works. I was going to install 24.04 last weekend, but I'm looking at issues that others are having - not to avoid, but to learn and prepare. I also bought a new NVME drive (1TB), that I have partitioned and copied my /home data into as a part of that preparation.

We'll see what this weekend brings
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                We'll see what this weekend brings
                Fun and adventure!

Comment

No Snaps or Flatpaks in use here. The first thing I did after installing 24.04 was run Black Kitten's scripts to remove Snap and install
                  Thunderbird and Firefox from Mozilla! I could have downloaded them and installed them myself but it saved me some time!

Basically use whatever floats your boat, they're just not for me...

It's a pity I can't install anything on my own first gen Lenovo Chromebook Duet...
                  Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                    first gen Lenovo Chromebook Duet.
                    omg, you most definitely can.....but it can be an adventure. Arm is a different animal, though not a night-and-day difference. Mostly a different boot process (no efi or bios or anything), and usually needing board or device-specific OS images, unless you want to manually flash individual bits (like you do when installing a ROM on a phone)

Don't forget the Linux subsystem on ChromeOS, for instralling apps like Firefox etc. in ChromeOS

I had Linux on that thing's little sister, the 10e tablet, as well as a beefy Duet 5 (a different chipset altogether)
                    Gimme a second.........

If I still had my 10e, I'd build you an image - it is the same platform as yours.
                    But I sold off the parts for the build PC that had all the build environments set up, plus the re-learning and re-modifying curve for the scripting I had hacked up to get Kubuntu or neon.

However, for playing purposes there are a couple of places to check out for images:
                    https://github.com/hexdump0815/imagebuilder (they make images for all sorts of Arm devices)
                    https://github.com/hexdump0815/image.../tag/230917-01
                    https://github.com/hexdump0815/image...ukui/readme.md
                    Your device has the codename "krane" on a "kukui" board.

This one seems ....interesting:
                    https://chromebook-unity.github.io/

BUTT:
                    Postmarket OS actually may be the best place to go, actually - prebuilt images are now available :
                    https://postmarketos.org/download/ <----look for Google Kukui , and there are multiple desktops available
                    https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Category:ChromeOS <----this has good instruction for preparing the device to be able to boot from external devices/sdcards, which is needed for any alt OS install
                    https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/G..._(google-kukui)
                    Last edited by claydoh; May 10, 2024, 08:53 AM. Reason: Actually, I had actually already said actually, actually.

Comment

Working...
                    X