Which package manager to use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which package manager to use.

I've upgraded to 24.04 and some of my 3rd party repositories were disabled, such as WINE. Before, muon worked well but it was removed upon upgrade and it hangs in discover saying "loading". I've tried synaptic (I know, it's GTK based) but Synaptic doesn't list any repository on the system, much less to re-enable them. Discover doesn't allow you either. So here's my question, which package manager should I use?
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

If you need a graphical one: Discover and/or Synaptic. Muon is dead and not officially available for 24.04 anymore.

You can see and manage additional repositories and PPAs graphically with --> Discover --> Settings --> Software Sources or you can start this directly with sudo software-properties-qt in Konsole.

PS:
    You can see the default repositories with cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.sources .
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 06, 2024, 05:55 PM. Reason: added PS
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I know Muon is dead but I still prefer it over Synaptic so I downloaded the last release version from here:

https://pkgs.org/download/muon

For Ubuntu 23.10 (Mantic Minotaur) and it works with 24.04. I'm going to use it for as long as I can! 🤣
      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Like I said in my previous post. The option for software sources is absent in discover. The command you gave did work though, so thanks. That's what I was looking for.
        Attached Files
        Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

This is strange - did you do a clean install or did you release-upgrade from 22.04/23.10 to Kubuntu 24.04?

If no clean install: try a new user account and see if the Software Sources are present there in Discover. Then it could be time to get rid of incompatible old settings and cache files in your main user's /home
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Sometimes you have to let it sit there while it loads all the different systems Discover handles.
            It takes a while for all my apt sources to load, and Software Sources to appear, though I do have a ....copious number of added repos, even if many are disabled.

I recall someone else somewhere had a similar issue on Kubuntu
            (I am on neon)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
              This is strange - did you do a clean install or did you release-upgrade from 22.04/23.10 to Kubuntu 24.04?

If no clean install: try a new user account and see if the Software Sources are present there in Discover. Then it could be time to get rid of incompatible old settings and cache files in your main user's /home
              I did a "do release upgrade" from 23.10. I had a fresh install of from 23.10 because of certain issues on 22.04. However, I must note that /home runs on a separate partition. So it could be some old settings like you said that may be causing that.

Comment

Working...
              X