Now here be 24.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So....

I'm running 24.04 LTS. Why is Discover an older (two years old) version (5.27.11) when KDE has newer versions available?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Discover5.27.11.png
Views:	233
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	679629 Click image for larger version

Name:	KDE Discover Releases.png
Views:	225
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	679630
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      So....

I'm running 24.04 LTS. Why is Discover an older (two years old) version (5.27.11) when KDE has newer versions available?
      The LTS stands for long term support for Kubuntu 24.04. The version 5.27.11 is a recently released long term supported by KDE earlier this year, same with all the software installed by them just released within the last couple of months. The release of the version 6 came to late to be included into the Kubuntu, if you want that software you need to wait for a backport version to be released, if ever, for Kubuntu or switcch to one of the various other rolling release distributions that have the version 6 and all its bugs in full glory for you to use. Instead of the 27th released version revision 11 of that release of the KDE 5 you now have.

Comment

oshunluvr and jglen490

I don't have what you two both have.

Name:	Discover.png
Views:	602
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	679617 Click image for larger version

Name:	Discover2.png
Views:	600
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	679618
        The big difference I see here is you have "Flatpack" selected instead of "Ubuntu 24.04 LTS"

Please Read Me

Comment

From 24.04 here:
          Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Your *buntu sources aren't there at all are they? You might want to check your sources lists in /etc/apt

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              The big difference I see here is you have "Flatpack" selected instead of "Ubuntu 24.04 LTS"
              No, I don’t. I have never installed a flatpack application. Note the option is to make Flatpack the default. I have not.

Comment

I added the Flatpak backend to see if itwould mess mine up - it didn't.

Please Read Me

Comment

You upgraded with "-m" which is "special upgrade mode" and I upgraded a week ago or so using "-d" which "development release mode".

I'm wondering if the -m mode doesn't add the new sources.

Please Read Me

Comment

So Snowhog did you install
                    software-properties-gtk
                    or
                    software-properties-qt
                    ?
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

jglen490 -gtk as identified by claydoh in https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...521#post679521

Comment

Your *buntu sources aren't there at all are they? You might want to check your sources lists in /etc/apt
                        You upgraded with "-m" which is "special upgrade mode" and I upgraded a week ago or so using "-d" which "development release mode".

I'm wondering if the -m mode doesn't add the new sources.
                        The move from the sources.list file to using /etc/apt/sources.list.d might explain some of this.

Anyhoo:

Name:	Screenshot_20240523_174550.png
Views:	227
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	679668

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                        So Snowhog did you install

software-properties-gtk

or

software-properties-qt

?

One should be able to have both. These are python-gtk/Qt generated UIs to the same python utility.

I am suspecting that the plasma-discover-backend-apt needs to be modified to reflect the move of the sources.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          The move from the sources.list file to using /etc/apt/sources.list.d might explain some of this.
                          I would argue ‘no’ as this move was present when running 23.10, and Discover didn’t have this issue there. Or are you meaning the change from .list files to .sources files?
                          Last edited by Snowhog; May 23, 2024, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Snowhog: I have to apologize for a wrong information I gave:
                            On "bare metal" (Kubuntu 24.04 LTS was a clean install there) I do have Software Sources in Discover! I have installed lots of other (mostly KDE) stuff in the meantime, though.
                            I got that mixed up with two of my VMs (also clean installations of K 24.04 LTS) that don't have Software Properties in Discover… Strange.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SoftwareSources.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.8 KB ID:	679676

PS: software-properties-gtk is not installed here - only software-properties-qt, software-properties-common and python3-software-properties are…
                            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 23, 2024, 05:03 PM. Reason: added PS
                            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Slightly OT:

Originally posted by RedGreen925 View Post
                              I already use them for years now, first on Debian with the old software I got tired of and now on the Kubuntu. I do not bother with the /opt I put them in my /home/user/bin and have the ~/.local/share/applications/*.desktop files I created reflect that location so they get put into the menus correctly to start them up. I left that out to give the easiest solution to the poster and not complicate things.
                              That's why I pointed TWPonKubuntu to the scripts that automate this for people who don't want to do it "by hand" (the instructions on Mozilla.org are quite suitiable, though).

If one nukes the installation anyhow and does a fresh install with every (K)ubuntu release, it does not matter if one uses the programs from the Mozilla Team PPA - I just wanted to point out that a direct release-upgrade to the next Kubuntu version can fail if one does not remember to remove conflicting APT pinning before…
                              By the way: I had supported the Mozilla Team PPA as an alternative with my scripts for roughly two years, but it just was not worth the hassle of the automated deleting and reinstalling before and after the release-upgrade to the next Kubuntu version. So I ditched the Mozilla Team PPA in the scripts.
                              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                              install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I've figured out what the issue is with Discover not showing sources content.

As we know, Ubuntu changed where sources are kept, and how they are created. We used to have sources.list in /etc/apt. That was deprecated by Ubuntu and moved into /etc/apt/sources.list.d as ubuntu.sources. Likewise, third-party repositories that were in /etc/apt/sources.list.d were renamed so the file ended in .sources instead of .list.

So I decided to test my hypothesis and copied /etc/apt/sources.list.distUpgrade (the renamed sources.list file, renamed by the upgrade process) to /etc/apt/sources.list and then launched Discover. Clicking on Settings now shows:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Discover_using_sources.list.png Views:	0 Size:	124.7 KB ID:	679686
                                So as I suspected, the issue is with Discover, in that it doesn't know about .sources files, or at least with Kubuntu 24.04. I say it's with Discover, because software-properties-gtk sees the new .sources files just fine.
                                Last edited by Snowhog; May 23, 2024, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X