Now here be 24.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now here be 24.04

Just finished upgrading my HP laptop from 23.10 to 24.04 with sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop after seeing the Upgrade Notification in System Tray. No issues.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240522_094432.png
Views:	513
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	679564
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Same here, took about 3.5 hours, no issues except that Thunderbird still wants to use snap for installing itself...
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
      Same here, took about 3.5 hours, no issues except that Thunderbird still wants to use snap for installing itself...
      Try adding the Mozilla team ppa and creating a preferences file to pin it high so it gets installed. You can install Firefox from there too, you may have to search around in the menus for the load profile option to import your old one in both programs. There will be an apt warning telling you the repository uses a weak key when you update, hopefully they upgrade it soon to eliminate that. You may want to remove the snaps first then install from the ppa after.
      Code:
      root@9600k:~# cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/launchpadcontent
      # Pin launchpad high so the packages from there get installed instead of the snaps we are trying to replace
      Package: *
      Pin: origin ppa.launchpadcontent.net
      Pin-Priority: 1000

https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions on Thunderbird. I'll just delete it as I no longer use it for my email management. My gripe was with the use of SNAP as the default installation route.
        Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Muon Package Manager is AWOL; hasn't been made available for Noble. Will it? No matter as I've installed packages synaptic and software-properties-gtk (see https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...521#post679521). I only use a Package Manager to look for things. I do all package management from the CLI.

Comment

Discover seems to be missing functions? You used to be able to manage Software Sources, but I don't see anyway to do that in Discover now.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Discover seems to be missing functions? You used to be able to manage Software Sources, but I don't see anyway to do that in Discover now.
              At least here; Discover > Settings > Software Sources (far right side) > enter password > Software sources window appears.

Please Read Me

Comment

Software Sources shows up in mine in Discover by clicking on the "hamburger" and then Settings. Synaptic and Discover both show the repos, the same way.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

oshunluvr and jglen490

I don't have what you two both have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Discover.png
Views:	602
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	679617 Click image for larger version

Name:	Discover2.png
Views:	600
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	679618

Comment

I don't have the Software Sources option either in Discover/24.04 LTS (I currently only use "clean" installs here on real metal).
                    One can just sudo software-properties-qt instead.

Edit: correction - this was in one of the VMs… Sorry.
                    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 23, 2024, 04:58 PM.
                    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by RedGreen925 View Post

Try adding the Mozilla team ppa and creating a preferences file to pin it high so it gets installed. You can install Firefox from there too, you may have to search around in the menus for the load profile option to import your old one in both programs. There will be an apt warning telling you the repository uses a weak key when you update, hopefully they upgrade it soon to eliminate that. You may want to remove the snaps first then install from the ppa after.
                      Code:
                      root@9600k:~# cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/launchpadcontent
                      # Pin launchpad high so the packages from there get installed instead of the snaps we are trying to replace
                      Package: *
                      Pin: origin ppa.launchpadcontent.net
                      Pin-Priority: 1000

https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
                      TWPonKubuntu
                      Be aware that the moment you use APT pinning for something like Firefox/Thunderbird from the Mozilla Team PPA you can get in trouble with a release-upgrade to the next Kubuntu version!
                      The PPA itself will automatically be disabled, but the release-upgrade process normally tries to (re-)install the according Snaps. This will very probably let the release-upgrade fail if you don't remove the APT pinning by hand before!

One of the better solutions is to use the .tar files from Mozilla.org and install them to /opt.
                      Also see the "Bonus" section of Essential and strongly recommended things to do directly after a Kubuntu 24.04 LTS installation.
                      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                        I don't have the Software Sources option either in Discover/24.04 LTS (I currently only use "clean" installs here on real metal).
                        But we should. That's my point. Somethings amiss with Discover in Kubuntu 24.04, but apparently not in KDE neon, which is what oshunluvr is running.

Comment

• oshunluvr
                          oshunluvr commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My comment was made after launching my 24.04 VM and verifying the functionality.

• claydoh
                          claydoh commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My 24.04 VM mirrors what Snowhog sees.

• Snowhog
                          Snowhog commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Claydoh; Thank you for confirming. A bug?

You probably have already done this, but sometimes with Discover, at least in my Virtual installs, that it takes a while for it to load the apt sources - that whole section is not showing in your screenshot.
                        Granted, this loads for me well before I could grab a screenshot unless I planned ahead and was ready.
                        I know I have seen it reported here or elsewhere at least once.

Comment

claydoh No, waiting doesn't make what is missing appear. I launched Discover from Konsole (plasma-discover) and clicked on Settings and the exited. This is what is recorded in Konsole, if it is any help.

Code:
                          paul@maccat:~$ plasma-discover
                          fetch ratings! false
                          adding empty sources model QStandardItemModel(0x5d1a2dc9ea70)
                          no component found for "com.ubuntu.ubuntu"
                          file:///usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/ScrollablePage.qml:200:9: QML MouseArea: Binding loop detected for property "impli
                          citHeight"
                          file:///usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/ScrollablePage.qml:200:9: QML MouseArea: Binding loop detected for property "impli
                          citHeight"
                          citHeight"
                          citHeight"
                          citHeight"
                          file:///usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/templates/InlineMessage.qml:265:13: QML SelectableLabel: Binding loop detected for
                          property "implicitWidth"
                          paul@maccat:~$

​

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post

One of the better solutions is to use the .tar files from Mozilla.org and install them to /opt.
                            I already use them for years now, first on Debian with the old software I got tired of and now on the Kubuntu. I do not bother with the /opt I put them in my /home/user/bin and have the ~/.local/share/applications/*.desktop files I created reflect that location so they get put into the menus correctly to start them up. I left that out to give the easiest solution to the poster and not complicate things.

Comment

Working...
                            X