Re-installing 24.04.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-installing 24.04.1

After an unsuccessful attempt to upgrade from 24-04 to 24.10 (I lost all my graphic drivers) I decided to go back to 24.04.1. I installed using a USB and then sent my@ and @home subvolumes from an external HD, then set them up so that they were now @ and @home on the /mn7 partition. When I rebooted, it couldn't get past grub, saying it couldn't find the device and that the kernel had to be loaded first. So I guess I did something wrong when I manually partitioned. I'm trying again, but don't seem to making any headway. When I choose manual partitioning, I get two partitions:sda2, a FAT-32 boot partition of 103 megas, flagged as boot with a moubnt point at /efi/boot. The other, which contains the previous 24-04-1 I had installed earlier today, is marked as btrfs, mount point / with a flag at /boot/grub. I choose to format both, then go to the next step, and am told I need an EFI file system. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can get my computer working again?

I know nothing about btrfs. Better wait for "them"!
    But you said,
    "sda2, a FAT-32 boot partition of 103 megas, flagged as boot with a moubnt point at /efi/boot."
    Isn't that your ESP? And isn't it asking you for an ESP?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

It was my boot partition in my previous setup. I didn't change it when I tried to re-install 24.04.1 and maybe that's the reason it didn't work out right. I've done more than one clean install before, but not recently, and from the error message I get after setting up the partitions I think the problem is in the boot partition, but I don't know what it is. The btrfs part is pretty straightforward. In any case, I've got two partitions which look right to me, but not to the installer, and I'm stuck.

Comment

(Just guessing now ...) It sounds like you need to tell the installer to re-use your existing ESP.
        I think the choice for ESP, in the installer screen, is at the top of the screen for 24.04.1.
        And there is a choice to Format it, too (as opposed to "Keep").
        If so, you could get the installer to use that FAT32 partition as your ESP, 103MiB?, mounted at /boot/efi (very important) and set the "boot" flag on it.
        If so ... the installer may tell you it prefers 300 MiB, but you can ignore that pop-up window and just click past it, "Next ->"

It just sounds like the installer didn't set up an ESP for your GRUB files.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

You can also use Boot Repair: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair.

Comment

I tried boot repair, and it gave me errors. Nonetheless, something went right, and I was able to install 24.04.1 successfully. I shall consult the btrfs experts as to how I I can use my backups to restore my original system, which was working flawlessly. I don't know why I decided to go to Plasma 6, when my Nvidia driver is not really compatible. Anyway, thanks for the advice and the interest shown in helping me solve this problem.

Comment

It's normal for Boot Repair to have weird discussions with you! Even about errors it's perceiving! ha-ha
              I'm glad you did get some experience with Boot Repair and some forward movement.
              And you are correct: you need a btrfs user in here, and we have quite a few as you know.

Comment

Working...
              X