Tried booting 24.04.1 iso, got invalid magic number error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried booting 24.04.1 iso, got invalid magic number error

I tried installing Kubuntu 24.04.1 from the iso I downloaded from kubuntu.org. I put it in Ventoy and rebooted the machine. Ventoy came up and I chose Kubuntu 20.02.1. Grub came up and I chose the Try or install Kubuntu option and pressed enter. The next screen said invalid magic number, then something about loading or installing the kernel first. The procedure I just mentioned worked for Kubuntu 24.04. Why doesn't it work now? Is there any way to fix this? Thanks.

A bad download? I suggest checking the check-sum. One can do this with dolphin, if you can boot some kind of KDE; right click the iso, properties, checksums tab. Or, any Linux, on the CLI sha256sum *.iso. Maybe even Ventoy can do it these days.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy85358 View Post
      I tried installing Kubuntu 24.04.1 from the iso I downloaded from kubuntu.org. I put it in Ventoy and rebooted the machine. Ventoy came up and I chose Kubuntu 20.02.1. Grub came up and I chose the Try or install Kubuntu option and pressed enter. The next screen said invalid magic number, then something about loading or installing the kernel first. The procedure I just mentioned worked for Kubuntu 24.04. Why doesn't it work now? Is there any way to fix this? Thanks.
      The number I got from the command you mentioned and the checksum from the website were the same.

Comment

I tried writing the iso file to a usb stick. It worked. Apparently the 24.04.1 doesn't like Ventoy.

Comment

24.04.1 is just the 24.04 iso with current updates included in its OS image.
          I still suspect a bum download or a bad bit on the USB, perhaps. I have used ventoy (the current 1.0.99) and 24.04.1 a couple of times in recent weeks.

Comment

Working...
          X