Still awfully slow after upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still awfully slow after upgrade?

In my experience upgrading a Linux distro, no matter which one, always results in a very very slow system with long startup and loading times. That is perhaps the main reason I always go for a clean reinstall of Kubuntu.
    Are there more people out there who have the same experiences as I have? In the meantime, is there a way to upgrade and fix this problem?

If clean reinstallation is still the best option, then it seems I have to copy my .config folder someplace else and place it back in place after installation in order to get my settings back. Does this option also set back the custom installations of software? In the past I was a bit reluctant to use this option since I simply could not believe this works so I set everything back manually.

Enlighten me please,

I would copy the .config folder and also .local but there are some files that I don't copy.

That doesn't install software. You have to reinstall your software and normally that is going to involve dpkg or apt. I don't know where applications install themselves. There doesn't seem to be a set rule in the world of Linux.

Comment

All your user settings as well as your files are kept in your home directories. Many people do a custom install and create a separate partition for this which makes it easier for fresh OS installations as it removes the need to restore those items.

If the need to install arises, you do another custom install pointing $HOME to the existing partition , making sure not to format it, and using the same username as before.

This won't restore applications or any system level changes - PPAs, custom Grub settings, etc.

As to slowness after an upgrade, in not sure I've ever seen that myself over the past two decades, though I might just not remember. I've done many.

One tip is to create a new user account after the upgrade just to see if it is the same there. If not, it is something in your user settings.

Another relates to any use of PPAs and other external software sources. These are so disabled during the upgrade, but not turned back on afterwards. If you use any, particularly any that provide drivers or other similar system level upgrades, it is not a bad idea to remove these and revert back to stock packages using ppa-purge. If using Nvidia graphics, it might even be worthwhile to also revert the proprietary drivers back to in to nouveau until after upgrading.

Comment

Dear people,

That will be a straightforward clean re-installation again. I will save the .config and .local folder and I can always simply write down somewhere what applications I need to reinstall afterwards.
        Me thinks the work after an upgrade is perhaps even more. For now I still have more than 200 days before 22.04 is obsolete so there is no rush. I like it however that Kubuntu signals you long before that moment comes.

vanadiumboy, thank you for reminding me. I knew about the .config but forgot about the .local.
        claydoh, for a moment I thought it might be an nvidia problem but then I remembered I also upgraded once on a laptop with intell graphics. It is hard not to blame Nvidia all the time.

Thank you both for your info.
        Last edited by Gromm; Sep 15, 2024, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X