No announcement yet.

DualBoot windows/kubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, by removing that from the grub file I can access it, but as I mentioned I see all the system loading text at the beginning and apart from that I don't know if removing those lines affects the system in any way, I simply removed it because I read it.

Comment

My question is: Does it boot up and load the desktop so you can log in? Or is it still not booting?

Please Read Me

Comment

Yes, everything starts completely after removing quiet splash from the grub file (enter recovery mode to modify) and now it comes in but as I said, it shows me when starting up in text how the entire system loads, something that doesn't look very good, I understand what it will be. due to the modification and I have the doubt if removing those lines affects something else in the system.

Comment

From my understanding, that's what "quiet splash" does. It hides the text display but that doesn't mean the system isn't loading. As far as I know, some BIOS?motherboard implementations causes a "blank" screen to show without a logo or anything while others don't. That often confuses people and they think that the system has frozen. My question is, how long did you wait without "quietsplash" removed before determining that the system wasn't loading any further?
          Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

I waited a long time and several times, I can assure you that with that on the system does not start, apart from that I came to that solution because the same thing has already happened to several people.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I've always created a separate efi partition and left the Windows own alone even on the current pc I am running Kubuntu on (it came with Windows and there are some troublesome games I still run from time to time under Windows that fail badly under WINE). I'm not sure if that may be of help to you but I guess it's too late if you've already set up your partitions already.
              Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

All information is always helpful, currently everything seems to be working correctly although I am left wondering if removing the quiet splash affects me in anything other than seeing the system load, I will continue investigating, thanks again for your answers.

Comment

OK, so if it's working, open Konsole and do a full update:

Code:
                  sudo apt update
                  sudo apt full-upgrade
                  Then add "quiet splash" back in to /etc/default/grub and update GRUB:

Code:
                  sudo update-grub
                  and reboot. This is usually enough for this problem to be fixed.

If not and you get the black screen again. Remove "quiet splash" again and let it be for a week or two then retry. It will eventually get fixed.

Please Read Me

Comment

I followed your steps and the black screen returned and the system did not start, I entered recovery mode again to remove "Splash".

Comment

Well that sucks. THIS probably applies to you. Apparently it's happening with several distros which means it should be fixed soon.

FYI, I've been using Linux long enough that we always watched the text console during boot. Maybe not "pretty" but more often than not, it helped reveal possible problems during boot.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                        FYI, I've been using Linux long enough that we always watched the text console during boot.
                        I mean, how else was one going to see the penguins?
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                        X