Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre Installation Error Code Screen - - do these issues get noted in here? Error below

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Pre Installation Error Code Screen - - do these issues get noted in here? Error below

I got the upgrade notification yesterday and tried to apply the upgrade. I got an error code with no errors listed [see .png]; however, I suspect it is related to the pop-up notice I get when applying updates to the O/S[see .png]. See the .PNG files for error screen and update error list.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1aUpgradeFailed.png Views:	71 Size:	44.3 KB ID:	679649

Click image for larger version  Name:	1aUpgradeFailedx.png Views:	73 Size:	322.3 KB ID:	679650
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 30, 2024, 07:08 AM.

The upgrade should be disabling PPAa before proceeding. it usually says it will do this.
    The PPA in the second image means that this PPA's owner doesn't provide any packages for Mantic (23.10) so it should be removed or disabled. It won't have packages for 24.04 either.
    https://launchpad.net/~openshot.deve...ive/ubuntu/ppa
    Their daily-build one does.
    https://launchpad.net/~openshot.deve...openshot-daily
    I wouldn't recommend it, here. Their Appimages are a better choice atm. Development on this has been slow the past year and a half or more.

Remove that PP\A and the error will go away.
    The first one I will say is caused by the second one. if the system can't be updated beforehand, the OS upgrade will fail.
    Sometimes, some dark themes can render the text the wrong color, and make them invisible in the dialogs, that may have happened here

Comment

I had to do some research on what you posted. I used Kate in the scources.list.d directory Click image for larger version

Name:	1aUpgradeFailedXx.png
Views:	169
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	679757 to edit the file that had the error. I tried to delete it, but the system would not let me. I used the data in the filename openshot~jammy.list to overwrite the file giving the error code "https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/openshot.developers/ppa/ubuntu mantic" ...i.e. 'openshot~mantic.list'. So far I have removed that error when Discover launches or updates the system. Since I had this problem, I figure I had better back up this O/S using Clonezilla to a duplicate drive which should be here any monent, then I will run the upgrade script after the back up is complete. I will keep you posted, TYVM my friend!

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        The upgrade should be disabling PPAa before proceeding. it usually says it will do this.
        The PPA in the second image means that this PPA's owner doesn't provide any packages for Mantic (23.10) so it should be removed or disabled. It won't have packages for 24.04 either.
        https://launchpad.net/~openshot.deve...ive/ubuntu/ppa
        Their daily-build one does.
        https://launchpad.net/~openshot.deve...openshot-daily
        I wouldn't recommend it, here. Their Appimages are a better choice atm. Development on this has been slow the past year and a half or more.

Remove that PP\A and the error will go away.
        The first one I will say is caused by the second one. if the system can't be updated beforehand, the OS upgrade will fail.
        Sometimes, some dark themes can render the text the wrong color, and make them invisible in the dialogs, that may have happened here
        It did not in my case. Yes, it usually does (I have done many upgrades before and the PPAs always get disabled automatically). Just that in this case it did not and caused all sorts of problems. Best practice is to ppa-purge all PPAs and revert packages, then proceed to do the upgrade.

Yesterday I got the upgrade notice and did my usual upgrade from the konsole. My PPAs did not get disabled (I have a few active) which seemed odd to me. Upgrade script notified my Thunderbird package (I use the mozillateam PPA) will be replaced by the snap version (yay for Canonical still forcing snap on us) but then error'd out when it could not remove the current package. Tried to fix the error and broken packages, but in typical apt fashion the whole thing blew up.

So yeah, best to ppa-purge before an upgrade.
        Last edited by Melcar; May 25, 2024, 01:12 PM.
        Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores,) Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Memory: 32768MB
        Disk: 2000GB ST2000DM001-9YN1 + 1000GB ST31000340AS, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411
        Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7850, Audio: C-Media CMI8788, Monitor: S220HQL

Comment

How did you tell?
          I bet it does disable the PPAs.The Snap replacing Tbird is proof, iirc,
          The PPA source and the apt config file keep Snap from replacing it. If the mozilla repo is disabled, the stock Ubuntu repos regain their priority back for FF and tbird debs.

Comment

I was able to remove the error. I ran the upgrade script in Konsole and the output is next:

"stefanso@Stefanso-Air:~$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            [sudo] password for stefanso:
            Hit:1 https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease
            Hit:2 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu mantic-security InRelease
            Hit:3 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu mantic InRelease
            Hit:4 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu mantic-updates InRelease
            Hit:5 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu mantic-backports InRelease
            Reading package lists... Done
            Building dependency tree... Done
            Reading state information... Done
            Calculating upgrade... Done
            The following packages have been kept back:
            ubuntu-advantage-tools ubuntu-pro-client ubuntu-pro-client-l10n
            0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
            stefanso@Stefanso-Air:~$ pkexec do-release-upgrade -m desktop -f DistUpgradeViewKDE
            Checking for a new Ubuntu release
            kde
            Traceback (most recent call last):
            File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeFetcherKDE.py", line 33, in <module>
            from PyQt5 import uic
            ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PyQt5'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
            File "/usr/bin/do-release-upgrade", line 254, in <module>
            fetcher = get_fetcher(options.frontend, m.new_dist, options.data_dir)
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
            File "/usr/bin/do-release-upgrade", line 41, in get_fetcher
            from DistUpgrade.DistUpgradeFetcherKDE import DistUpgradeFetcherKDE
            File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeFetcherKDE.py", line 40, in <module>
            from PyKDE4.kdeui import KIcon, KMessageBox, KStandardGuiItem
            ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PyKDE4'​"

So I still am not able to upgrade Click image for larger version

Name:	1aUpgradeFailedXxX.png
Views:	142
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	680062

Comment

Sorry, new to this thread.

What is this supposed to do?
              Code:
              $ pkexec do-release-upgrade -m desktop -f DistUpgradeViewKDE
              and it's never going to work without "sudo". Why not just:
              Code:
              sudo do-release-upgrade

Please Read Me

Comment

That's the command Kubuntu provides in the upgrade wiki pages for each release as the command to launch the KDE-styled upgrade GUI manually. There probably is good reason to use the switched given, but I dunno.

Comment

Great! TYVM for the help. Ran the command: sudo do-release-upgrade and here is what happened. This screen popped up; Click image for larger version

Name:	A1ErrorUpG1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	680123 So I followed the instructions in the second line on screen & got this screen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A1ErrorUpG.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	680125 So I powered down for a bit then powered up the system. HELLO! it aqctually booted to the desktop. BUT there is a problem here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1aUpgradepost.png
Views:	132
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	680126 Click image for larger version

Name:	1aUpgradepostx.png
Views:	131
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	680127 the system wants to do an update and according to the image, the upgrade failure left behind a lot of packages that need to be removed. I click update, get the second image hit prodeed and the password screen never show up. Think I need to use Konsole, ay?
                  Attached Files

Comment

BOOM Upgrade success. ran several commands,,, sudo apt-get update - apt list --upgradable - sudo apt-get upgrade - sudo apt-get dist-upgrade - sudo do-release-upgrade - sudo reboot got confirmation that the 24.04 was installed after boot. I have a huge text file that shows all that was done 'cause I saved it to Kate before reboot. I didn't want to bore you guys with those DEETS. I tho't all the commands above might have been over kill untill I got confirmation. TTYL!

Comment

Pic one is a thing that can happen on plasma after an update to the locker. It's not specific to distro upgrades but is something KDE is working on.

Pic number 2 is pretty much safe to ignore iirc.
                      These are common ish in certain kernels and certain bios, not specific to a distro either. Mostly annoying messaging that should be hidden but isn't.

Pic 3 looks accurate. The packages being removed are being replaced if you look at things closely. Replacements to fix that 2038 time bug thing. The new rebuilt packages are renamed to add 't64' to the file name.

Comment

Thank you! I am waiting for the first update to see if everything is correct on this system. This is a Macbook Air where I wiped out MacO/S completely and forced the install of 23.4, so I am a couple upgrades into it. The only problem with this system as it stands is that there was an error with openshot video editor and now the "downloaded appimage" will not operate on this box. I need help here " https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...-s-on-internal " fixing this thumb drive to boot so I can edit my YT vidoes.

Comment

Originally posted by spiderman View Post
                          the "downloaded appimage" will not operate
                          You might need to right-click on the file and make sure it is marked executable. Appimages are often this way on purpose.

But more likely I forgot about appimages requiring a previous version of Fuse than what comes on Ubuntu now, the remedy for that
                          is very simple.

Comment

I ran this per the link suggestion and this is the printout... Appimages do not run yet.

stefanso@Stefanso-Air:~$ sudo apt install libfuse2
                            [sudo] password for stefanso:
                            Building dependency tree... Done
                            Reading state information... Done
                            Note, selecting 'libfuse2t64' instead of 'libfuse2'
                            libfuse2t64 is already the newest version (2.9.9-8.1build1).
                            The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
                            cpdb-backend-cups gamin irqbalance libappstream4 libappstreamqt2 libboost-filesystem1.74.0
                            libboost-iostreams1.74.0 libboost-locale1.74.0 libboost-regex1.74.0 libboost-thread1.74.0 libcbor0.8
                            libcholmod4 libcpdb2t64 libdav1d6 libgamin0 libgcab-1.0-0 libgck-1-0 libgcr-base-3-1 libgit2-1.5 libicu72
                            libmagick++-6.q16-8 libmagickcore-6.q16-6 libmagickcore-6.q16-6-extra libmagickwand-6.q16-6 libnetplan0
                            libnfs13 libnsl-dev libnsl2 libopencore-amrnb0 libopencore-amrwb0 libperl5.36 libphonon4qt5-data libplacebo292
                            libplist3 libpoppler130 libpython3.11 libpython3.11-minimal libpython3.11-stdlib libsmbios-c2 libtirpc-dev
                            libunistring2 libvpx7 libzxing2 linux-headers-6.5.0-28 linux-headers-6.5.0-28-generic
                            linux-image-6.5.0-28-generic linux-modules-6.5.0-28-generic linux-modules-extra-6.5.0-28-generic
                            perl-modules-5.36 python3.11 python3.11-minimal rtmpdump tzdata-icu ubuntu-advantage-tools
                            Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
                            0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
                            stefanso@Stefanso-Air:~$
                            Last edited by spiderman; Jun 03, 2024, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X