Looking for assurances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for assurances

So I successfully upgraded my laptop to 24.04 this morning (from 23.10). No issues there. I have 23.10 on my desktop PC also, but there, I game with Steam, and I'm looking for assurances that performing the upgrade to 24.04 won't impact Steam in anyway; that it will still load and run afterwards.
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 22, 2024, 09:50 PM.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    So I successfully upgraded my laptop to 24.04 this morning (from 23.10). No issues there. I have 23.10 on my desktop PC also, but there, I game with Steam, and I'm looking for assurances that performing the upgrade to 24.04 won't impact Steam in anyway; that it will still load and run afterwards.
    There is no guarantee with any of this. One way to assure yourself is to take and do a test install/clone onto a spare drive using the desktop then test for a few days if it is not any good then you can fall back to the old install.

Comment

Your shiny new desktop, I take it?
      I can't give assurances, but for this 'minor' OS upgrade in terms of kernel, drivers, and Mesa shouldn't cause an issue with your hardware.
      You might see the black screen issue some AMD CPU/APU users have seen, but this is unrelated to gaming.
      If you didn't have an ancient graphics card in that rig, I would venture to say you would see at least a little bit of noticeable improvement from the newer Mesa and kernel.
      I wouldn't expect any issues with the well supported card you have.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        If you didn't have an ancient graphics card in that rig,
        I wouldn't expect any issues with the well supported card you have.
        You a funny guy!

Yes, the GPU is 'ancient' by industry standards, but as you also say, is still well supported. So you sound a tad tongue 'n cheekish.

Guess I'll bite the bullet and upgrade.

Comment

Yes, the GPU is 'ancient' by industry standards,
          It is eight years old, which is ancient by any standards, even to Debian or Slackware users :P

Of course this has no connection to usefulness or anything.

Comment

It is eight years old, which is ancient by any standards
            What hurdles, if any, are involved in upgrading my AMD GPU? Is it just 'plug 'n play', or is there 'plug 'n pray' involved?

Comment

Upgrade finished. No issues. Steam runs just fine. KMyMoney, no problems. These are my two canaries. Muon Package Manager was removed, as it isn't packaged for Nobel (yet?). As I did on my laptop, I just installed synaptic and software-properties-gtk. Discover still shows itself to be crippled regarding Software Sources; they don't show up, and no way to get to them for managing via Discover. This has to be a bug of some sort.

Comment

Muon Package Manager was removed, as it isn't packaged for Nobel (yet?)
                It won't be coming back as it is long dead.

What hurdles, if any, are involved in upgrading my AMD GPU? Is it just 'plug 'n play', or is there 'plug 'n pray' involved?
                if you decide to do it, the main hurdle will be connecting the extra power cable every strong GPU uses today
                Otherwise, nothing overly special, unless it is a bleeding new card from less than 6 months ago.
                Adding a line to grub if you want to use third party fan controllers/overclocking

If it is too new, a more current kernel such as Xanmod or Liquorix may be needed (I don't recommend "mainline" for this, though they are probably fine, they might just be too 'vanilla' for overall hardware support), and updated Mesa, sometimes via one of several PPAs

Basically, a tiny bit of research on the card you like should give decent idea. Reddit is my go-to, as Linux gamers are the first to get things, and report (complain) things.
                or pester the right people to take a quick gander.

Comment

Working...
                X