23.10 to 24.04.1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

23.10 to 24.04.1?

If I want to wait until the 24.04.1 release to upgrade from 23.10, will that work? Given that 23.10 updates stop in early/mid July, and the 24.04.1 happens in August some time, will the upgrade no longer be offered for 23.10 via the normal methods and I'll be stuck and need to do a fresh install, or is the "upgrade" distinct from the "updates"?

Sounded from some threads here and from some googling like it might be wise to wait until 24.04.1...

Thanks!

The notification for the available Upgrade showed up today (for me). I then upgraded my 23.10 to 24.04 from the CLI (see https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...-here-be-24-04) without issues.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, yeah, it's there for me too, but I wanted to wait for 24.04.1 and wasn't sure if the upgrade path would still be available after July? (I've gotten caught before where I wait too long to upgrade and have to do a fresh install.)

Comment

It *should*, even though 23.10 reaches EOL in July, but the first "point" release for 24.04 is in August.
        They don't always mothball the repos immediately.
        And even then: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

And don't forget that these "point" releases are mostly just updated images, with all the current updates installed, so waiting for August instead of a little sooner doesn't really save or add much, for a non-LTS release upgrade. Any upgrade fixes for 23.10 to 24.04 are likely as done as they will ever get, considering that they have enabled upgrades now there.
        Last edited by claydoh; May 22, 2024, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Great, thanks, I'll cross my fingers, and if it comes to a fresh install it's not the end of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by chconnor View Post
            Great, thanks, I'll cross my fingers, and if it comes to a fresh install it's not the end of the world.
            No reason to opt for the "nuclear" solution. You can actually upgrade to 24.04 in the terminal whenever you like by using "sudo do-release-upgrade -d". The "-d" enables the "development" version which will get you 24.04 right away.

I'm not advocating doing that, just informing you of choices.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks! -- Not sure if I'm confused about something... The 24.04 upgrade is already available to me... I was talking about the potential (although apparently unlikely/unreal per claydoh's explanation) scenario where the upgrade path is no longer available from 23.10 to get to 24.04, thus leaving me with no option to upgrade.

Comment

Working...
              X