Grub install error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Grub install error

I just tried to install Kubuntu 24.04 on my dual boot system and received the error message "The bootloader could not be installed The installation command <pre>grub-install-target=i386-pc-recheck-force/dev/nvmeon1</pre>return an error code 1" The machine has two hard drives with windows on one and my Linux installations on the second. nvme0n1 is the windows drive. Now Grub has disappeared and I cannot boot either my existing Neon nor Kubuntu on the second drive. Windows still works, Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 16, 2024, 10:57 AM.

Welcome.

More detailed informations, please. Hardware, software/systems, set-up…
    What did you exactly do during the installation? For example: did you choose the "Manual Installation" option?
    Did you check your UEFI (I presume it is UEFI and not "legacy" BIOS) if it is set to boot from the "Linux drive" first? What does the UEFI boot menu show?

Generally: if you really "destroyed"/erased your GRUB boot loader you could start from a live Linux system (e.g. from an USB stick), chroot into the system you want to control GRUB and reinstall GRUB to the drive.
    You can either do this "by hand" or use something like the "Rescue Mode" of a Debian installation DVD to do so.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 16, 2024, 02:31 AM. Reason: addition
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Saordubh View Post
      I just tried to install Kubuntu 24.04 on my dual boot system and received the error message "The bootloader could not be installed The installation command <pre>grub-install-target=i386-pc-recheck-force/dev/nvmeon1</pre>return an error code 1" The machine has two hard drives with windows on one and my Linux installations on the second. nvme0n1 is the windows drive. Now Grub has disappeared and I cannot boot either my existing Neon nor Kubuntu on the second drive. Windows still works, Any suggestion would be appreciated.
      Boot with your install disk and try the boot-repair program.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Comment

Originally posted by Saordubh View Post
        Igrub-install-target=386-pc-recheck-force
        Is your system old, old enough to use BIOS/MBR? I'd have thought that's unlikely in 2024. That is the type of install you have attempted.

I suspect that when you booted the install media, you booted in BIOS mode, sometimes called compatibility mode. If that's not what you want, when you boot the install media, look for a UEFI option, or use the firmware settings to turn off compatibility mode.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

• Schwarzer Kater
          Schwarzer Kater commented
          Editing a comment
          Good catch! :-)

Thanks for the responses. I solved my problem by running the install again, but selecting the manual partition method. This allowed me to specify which drive was to host GRUB. Once pointed at the correct SSD the installation proceeded flawlessly. Problem Solved.

Comment

Working...
        X