Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Cannot see full screen of installation wizard

Hi folks,

I'm trying to install kubuntu 24.04 from an ISO USB stick. It starts up fine, and I select "Install Kubuntu" to install.

Everything seems OK until I get to the Disk Setup screen (the one following immediately after the "Updates and other software" screen. On the "Installation Type" screen I only see the "Manual" option (with the radio button). I see nothing above it (it should be the options for guided installation.

My system is a Lenova laptop with the following specs:

UEFI BIOS
    processor : Intel Core i5-4200U CPU
    graphics : Mesa Intel HD graphics 4400
    display : 1600x900 (16:9)​

I don't know why the screens before the "Installation type" screen look fine. I'm comparing to the screen grabs on this page:
    https://kubuntu-docs.readthedocs.io/...tallation.html

The first screen of the installation wizard... looks OK.
    First screen of installation wizard

The problem screen; the top is cut off.
    The top is cut off

Thanks in advance....
    Last edited by rhimbo; May 14, 2024, 07:15 AM.

Welcome.

The screenshots from the link you posted show the installer for Kubuntu 22.04 LTS.
    Kubuntu 24.04 LTS uses a different installer and the screens look a bit different. Did you try moving or resizing the window with [Meta] (also sometimes called the "Windows" key) and the left/right mouse button? At least that is how one can adjust windows in KDE Plasma without having to use the title bar or the corners.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 12, 2024, 04:35 AM. Reason: typo
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Hmm, well, I cannot see the images to which I linked. I just tried to upload the welcome screen photo again here:
      https://www.imgbly.com/ib/fgncWa5YOr

In the photo I took of the screen using my mobile phone, the screen says 24.04 LTS.

Are you seeing something different?

I will first try to use the Meta key as you suggest. Thanks....

Comment

• oshunluvr
        oshunluvr commented
        Editing a comment
        Users have to have a certain number of posts before they are allowed to post pics. Helps keep spammers away...

No. Your photo shows the 24.04 welcome screen.
      But the docs you linked to show the screenshots from a 22.04 LTS installation (when you scroll down a bit).

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

OK, here is some more information. Sorry I cannot post screen grabs (or photos taken with my mobile phone)….

Step 1:
        From the “Installation Mode” screen, I select “Normal Installation”

Step 2:
        The next screen has a drop down combo box with the following two elements:
        1. ST500LM021-KJ152 - 466.76 GiB (/dev/sda)
        2. vgkubuntu - 465.26 GiB (/dev/vgkubuntu)

And I see only the option for "Manual partitioning.”

Step 3:
        If I choose #1 above and proceed with manual partitioning, I am taken to a screen that shows the existing partitions
        /dev/sda1 (FAT32)
        /dev/sda2 (LVM PV)
        Free Space (unknown)

But I cannot proceed as the “Next” button is disabled. The setup wants me to create a new partition table.
        There is also a button to create “New Volume Group.”

Step 4:
        If instead I select #2 from above (vgkubuntu), I am presented with the following 4 options:
        a. Install alongside
        b. Replace a partition
        c. Erase disk
        d. Manual partitioning

Step 5:
        I am selecting (c) as I just want to do a clean install over the kubuntu system I have now.

Step 6:
        Doing so takes me to a screen to enter buy name, login username, password. I do all that and hit “Next.”

Step 7:
        I get an information screen indicating “Current” and “After” partitions. The “After” are
        EFI system of 300 MiB (FAT32)
        kubuntu_2404 of 464.96 GiB (ext4)

I hit the “Install” button, confirm by hitting “Install now” and then get an error dialog that says:

“Installation Failed”
        The installer failed to create a partition table on vgkubuntu.
        Details:
        Create a new partition table (type: get) on ‘/dev/vgkubuntu’

I did some searching around. vgkubuntu is a volume group, right? Do I need one?

I think I would like to go back to just doing a manual installation on the hard drive /dev/sda. I’m thinking that I need to create a new partition table (Step 3 above).
        Is this correct?

If so, I’m not sure what partitions to create.
        I suppose I could create one partition and let the installation just create one large file system.
        Or I could create
        /boot
        swap
        /home

as some documentation recommends.

Or I could also create
        /boot
        swap
        /var
        /tmp
        /home

but then I would need to create a logical volume. I believe it is still the case that there can be only 4 hard partitions?

If I’m completely off track here, please let me know. It’s been quite a while since I did this….

Comment

A problem seems to be that the Calamares installer gets "confused" (not entirely correct, but I don't have a better short explanation) by the present volume group.

One solution would be:
          • select 1. ST500LM021-KJ152 - 466.76 GiB (/dev/sda) - this seems to be your only physical drive
          • choose --> "Manual Partitioning"
          • choose --> [New Partition Table] --> GUID Partition Table (GPT) --> click [OK] (Attention: this will erase your entire disk - make sure you have backed up your important data if there is any!)
          • click in "Free Space", then in --> [Create] --> choose Size: 304 MiB, File System: fat32, Mount Point: /boot/efi, FS Label: leave blank or "ESP" (without the quotes), Flags: boot --> click [OK]
          • click in the remaining "Free Space" again, then in --> [Create] --> choose Size: rest of the drive, File System: ext4, Mount Point: /, FS Label: e.g. "Kubuntu2404" (without the quotes), Flags: none--> click [OK]​
          • click [Next]
          • proceed with user creation and installation.
          This is the most basic setup for a Linux installation with UEFI: an EFI system partition and a second partition with a Linux file format like e.g. ext4 containing all system and user files. (K)ubuntu will automatically create a swap file during installation.

I suggest that you start with this basic setup and learn about swap partitions, /home partitions, /boot, /var and other partitions, their purposes and the sizes you would need for them later on when you have the time or interest - but you won't have to: the system will work just fine as it is for a private desktop/laptop installation.
          I also suggest to have a look at Essential and strongly recommended things to do directly after a Kubuntu 24.04 LTS installation after the successful installation - especially at "step 1.".
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 13, 2024, 09:45 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thanks, Schwarzer Kater

This is an old laptop. I am just trying to create a platform that I can use to prove to myself that I have everything I need to get off my Mac for good. I don't need the partition sizes to be perfect vis-à-vis anticipating that this will be my 'perfect' system.

Comment

I have noticed with some video cards the screen will default to 640x480 due to absence of a correct driver and then the install window won't fully display because (IMO) it's not coded correctly.

One might try to boot to the Live "Try Kubuntu" session, set the resolution to something larger, then launch the installer.

Please Read Me

Comment

Success. Thanks all for your comments and assistance....

Now I'm going to get busy configuring the system to my taste and needs...

Comment

I'm new on this site. Is the protocol for us to somehow mark a thread or topic "Solved" in some way?

Comment

Originally posted by rhimbo View Post
                    I'm new on this site. Is the protocol for us to somehow mark a thread or topic "Solved" in some way?
                    Edit your OP, and change the "prefix" that is to the left of the title.
                    It isn't necessary or anything, but is helpful to do so.

Glad you are up and configuring!

Comment

As Claydoh said - Go up to your original post, click on "Edit" on the lower right of the post window frame, Click on the pull-down menu at "No Prefix", then you will see this:
                      Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Excellent. Thank you claydoh and oshunluvr

Comment

Working...
                        X