Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post

What \n?
    The one in post #10 that is shown in two different files, the one wanted to be saved and the other one below it with different extension but same name containing the \n. At least this is what this site shows me when viewing the posting, both when I made that post and just now when checking before replying to this. Copied and pasted here for reference.

-rw-rwx---+ 1 wilson-test wilson-test 43007 Oct 21 2023 'Lances computer Expenses'$'\n'' .ods'
    -rw-rw---- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 6479 Aug 24 2023 'Lance’s computer Expenses'$'\n''.xlsx'

Comment

Originally posted by RedGreen925 View Post

The one in post #10 that is shown in two different files, the one wanted to be saved and the other one below it with different extension but same name containing the \n. At least this is what this site shows me when viewing the posting, both when I made that post and just now when checking before replying to this. Copied and pasted here for reference.

-rw-rwx---+ 1 wilson-test wilson-test 43007 Oct 21 2023 'Lances computer Expenses'$'\n'' .ods'
      -rw-rw---- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 6479 Aug 24 2023 'Lance’s computer Expenses'$'\n''.xlsx'
      I never noticed that. It doesn't show up in the Dolphine display. I wonder how that got in there since I didn't type it. I have seen other instances of files having an invisible character in them sometimes from the copy/past tool. This must be another instance of that. I will try another rename later but since I already tried a rename once then it may be putting it back in there so another solution needs to be found.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

steve7233 I would, with the spreadsheet open, simply copy its contents, then paste the contents into a new spreadsheet and save that spreadsheet with a name containing NO spaces, punctuation marks, or special characters. I would then copy that file to the new location. Give that a try?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
          ... I already tried a rename
          ls in a terminal does a pretty good job of quoting file names. (You can make sure ls is not an alias by running /bin/ls.) Then cut and paste the file name shown after a mv -i command, then a new name.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            steve7233 I would, with the spreadsheet open, simply copy its contents, then paste the contents into a new spreadsheet and save that spreadsheet with a name containing NO spaces, punctuation marks, or special characters. I would then copy that file to the new location. Give that a try?
            I will try this later today. It sounds like it might work.
            Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              I knew there was a way to get this to work. Thanks. If this were Steam I'd award you some points.

Comment

I will install 24.04 in a few hours. I will do a fresh install because I think this one is a little bit broken so I hope a fresh install will get everything working like it is supposed to.

Comment

Working...
                X