Replacement computer and need to save pesonal files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement computer and need to save pesonal files

How can I save my files via a live session before I reformat the drive?
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Mount the drive you want to make the backup of and then backup it's /home directory's contents to the backup destination.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I moved my SSDs from the dead computer - dead PSU suspected -, to the good computer. I found I could boot the old Kubuntu 23.10. I had to tell GRUB II which kernel to load as It couldn't find the files by default. I was able to copy all but one file that I needed to save. I get a permissions error from Koffice cal.
      Code:
      Error saving the document Lance’s computer Expenses
      :
      Object not accessible.
      The object cannot be accessed
      due to insufficient user rights.​
      I added a screenshot to this post. Click image for larger version

Name:	Can't save.png
Views:	167
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	679157

Also what file or files can I save to save the file locations that I added to Dolphin so I don't have to recreate all of those? Click image for larger version

Name:	panel showing created locations.png
Views:	160
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	679158
      After I solve these two problems then I can try installing Kubuntu 24.04.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

In addition to this forum, I also posted to LibreOffice: https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/can-no...rrect/105750/3

Comment

I hope to solve this soon as I can't switch to 24.04 until I can save those two files.

Comment

In Dolphin, right-click on the file and look at Properties. Who is the Owner and Group?
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              In Dolphin, right-click on the file and look at Properties. Who is the Owner and Group?
              I already checked days ago. Both of the two files are user and group set to my user name. That is what I can't figure out as I should have permission to move it. I am also the user and group for the target USB thumb drive. I wonder if a recent KDEOffice update may have introduced a new bug.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                I am also the user and group for the target USB thumb drive
                What about for the directory the file is in? Or the read/write permissions for the file/directory?

Look at the actual details for the file location. Post the results for this;
                $ ls -la /media/<your-username>/<the-usb-drive-label-or-name>/<the-rest-of-the-path-to-directory-with-the-file-if-necessary>/

You can find the path using dolphin:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240515_105423.png Views:	0 Size:	26.3 KB ID:	679330
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240515_105455.png Views:	0 Size:	25.2 KB ID:	679331

An update to an application will not/cannot change the ownership or permissions for a file on a usb stick, let alone any user data dirs.
                Last edited by Snowhog; May 15, 2024, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  What about for the directory the file is in? Or the read/write permissions for the file/directory?

Look at the actual details for the file location. Post the results for this;
                  $ ls -la /media/<your-username>/<the-usb-drive-label-or-name>/<the-rest-of-the-path-to-directory-with-the-file-if-necessary>/

You can find the path using dolphin:
                  Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20240515_105423.png Views:	0 Size:	26.3 KB ID:	679330
                  Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20240515_105455.png Views:	0 Size:	25.2 KB ID:	679331

An update to an application will not/cannot change the ownership or permissions for a file on a usb stick, let alone any user data dirs.
                  $ ls -la /media/wilson-test/18CD-B829/Documents.
                  total 1172184
                  drwxr-xr-x 4 wilson-test wilson-test 8192 May 14 03:04 .
                  drwxr-xr-x 5 wilson-test wilson-test 8192 Dec 31 1969 ..
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 11894 Oct 22 2020 '13 trillion dollar potential notes.odt'
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 138084 Jul 23 2022 15d.7z
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 40890 Apr 13 2022 2020_TaxReturn.pdf
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 40984 Apr 12 2022 2021_TaxReturn.pdf
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 2664 Nov 17 09:29 atlasvpn-repo.deb
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 17089 Apr 19 2020 census2020.pdf
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 2073542 Aug 2 2023 CIVILIZATION_201902.zip
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 13339 May 5 2022 'claimed game codes from Amazon Prime.odt'
                  drwxr-xr-x 7 wilson-test wilson-test 8192 Mar 11 2022 'EG2 wallpaper'
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 8424 Oct 7 2021 'Great Water way and land seed map for TpF2.odt'
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 4262054 Apr 29 2022 IG-20-013-2.pdf
                  -rwxr-xr-x 1 wilson-test wilson-test 199436776 Nov 21 2022 iTunes64Setup.exe
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 386 Sep 22 2022 latest-linux.yml
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 97 May 14 03:04 '.~lock.Great Water way and land seed map for TpF2
                  .odt#'
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 93 Apr 7 2021 .~lock.NewResume.docx#
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 13609 Apr 7 2021 NewResume.docx
                  -rwxr-xr-x 1 wilson-test wilson-test 1639928 Apr 23 2020 RaidSetup.exe
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 90412689 Mar 28 2022 Satisfactory-Mod-Manager.AppImage
                  -rwxr-xr-x 1 wilson-test wilson-test 63390207 Sep 26 2020 Satisfactory-Mod-Manager-Setup.exe
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 4155997 Aug 2 2022 Setup3893-x64.rar
                  -rwxr-xr-x 1 wilson-test wilson-test 492724648 Aug 29 2022 'setup_star_trektm_armada_ii_1.1_rdna_fix_(52907).
                  exe'
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 16322 Mar 4 2020 'Steven Wilson - Vince.docx'
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 1093882 May 4 2022 Summary_Draft_PEA_for_SpaceX_Starship_Super_Heavy
                  _at_Boca_Chica.pdf
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 222187041 May 9 2021 Thrive_0.5.3.1_linux_x11.7z
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 231249 Jun 2 2023 "Total's Blueprints Last Updated AIO Factories.zip
                  "
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 27916 Jan 21 2021 Tpf2-NeonModManager_1.9-1_all.deb
                  -rwxr-xr-x 1 wilson-test wilson-test 118207256 Sep 5 2020 UplayInstaller.exe
                  drwxr-xr-x 2 wilson-test wilson-test 8192 May 11 15:38 Work
                  wilson-test@steve7233-Z68XP-UD3:~$

​When I suggested that an update to KDEOffice may have been bugged I wasn't referring to changing file permissions rather the data KCALC or whatever sends to the library routine that does the file I/O might have gotten messed up.

Comment

I checked the source directory to:
                    wilson-test@steve7233-Z68XP-UD3:~$ ls -la /home/wilson-test/Documents
                    total 52
                    drwxr-xr-x 1 wilson-test wilson-test 126 May 15 07:13 .
                    drwxr-xr-x 1 wilson-test wilson-test 1098 May 15 15:16 ..
                    -rw-rwx---+ 1 wilson-test wilson-test 43007 Oct 21 2023 'Lances computer Expenses'$'\n'' .ods'
                    -rw-rw---- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 6479 Aug 24 2023 'Lance’s computer Expenses'$'\n''.xlsx'
                    wilson-test@steve7233-Z68XP-UD3:~$

​Some one want to explain why it doesn't allow the file to be moved or copied? This seems to be an impossible situation but ... A bug in Ubuntu core or maybe KDEoffice or some tool the program is using for file I/O.

Comment

I’m reasonably sure the issue is due to the name of the file itself. It contains punctuation, spaces, and special characters. Rename it so it has none of those.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I’m reasonably sure the issue is due to the name of the file itself. It contains punctuation, spaces, and special characters. Rename it so it has none of those.
                        Not to mention the new line character the "\n" in the file name. This is a perfect example of why you do not allow any of that junk into your file names, it causes not but problems.

Comment

As shown in the Bugzilla link in comment #4, I already tried that. I think this might be an unusual problem so we should probably try thinking outside the box.

Comment

Originally posted by RedGreen925 View Post

Not to mention the new line character the "\n" in the file name. This is a perfect example of why you do not allow any of that junk into your file names, it causes not but problems.
                            What \n?

Comment

Avoid using control characters in file names (except for special cases and if you know exactly what you are doing… E.g. when writing Bash scripts):

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                              […]
                              -rw-rwx---+ 1 wilson-test wilson-test 43007 Oct 21 2023 'Lances computer Expenses'$'\n'' .ods'
                              -rw-rw---- 1 wilson-test wilson-test 6479 Aug 24 2023 'Lance’s computer Expenses'$'\n''.xlsx'
                              […[
                              Spaces normally don't cause problems except for one's laziness in the CLI.
                              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 16, 2024, 03:08 AM. Reason: addition
                              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                              install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
                              X